Ken Hunt

jeff Cadzow

Ever since I became interested in engraving, I have been following Ken Hunt wherever I can find him on the internet. As most of us realise he is a Grand master and living legend.

He contributes so much to the engraving community just by having his work available for viewing. He continually donates his knowledge and experience so generously with his hand drawn note and video tutorials.

One thing that I don’t understand, is why he hasn’t already been Knighted.

It seems like anyone can nominate someone to be knighted. I would like to do this but I need personal details .Age birth date address contact details etc. Which I don’t have.

I am hoping that there might be a member or two in the Engravers Café that may know him better or have access to the details or know someone who does so that we can get this moving.

What do you think, is there any support for this?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Easy! Someone should engrave in suggested Old English a plaque presented to Ken Hunt that reads something like this:

The Hand Engraving Community, hereby, on this day grants thee, Ken Hunt, Artist and Master Hand-Engraver, without reservation, the distinguished Certificate of Knighthood, in recognition for his many artistic achievements, especially in the specialized field of Artistic Hand-Engraving. This honor, title, is given to exceptional individuals for their many rarely equaled, contributions in expanding, furthering so brilliantly, our current knowledge of Hand-engraving, more specifically, demonstrating by example for us, the design skills, and associated techniques that are required, for the exhibition of his many works, through his superb craftsmanship, and sleight of hand, Hand-Engraving's, endless possibilities! In addition, Ken Hunt is world renowned, recognized, fully appreciated for his generosity of spirit, allowing us to behold in awe, his wealth, his deep repository of creative information, and gifted creative genius, providing us with much needed fuel for inspiration, encouragement and support, with his exquisite artistic ornamental designs and many detailed, original, profound engraving executions. From this day forth, with our utmost respect, Ken Hunt's admirers and disciples will address him as "Sir Kent Hunt"!

As an aside, a little humor:
This award is presented to Mr. Bic, his many fine points, have earned their mark!

This award is presented to Less More, no less, no more!

This award is presented to the Invisible Man, who came and left, without being seen!

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have always wondered why Ken had not been knighted. Not being British, I don't know what the process entails but it seems there are so many lesser lights that carry the title. An organization like The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths or The Hand Engravers Association of Great Britain could put forth Ken's name for the Honors List. I'm sure there is a good deal of politics involved in the process.

Reactions: Sam
Easy! Someone should engrave in suggested Old English a plaque presented to Ken Hunt that reads something like this:

The Hand Engraving Community, hereby, on this day grants thee, Ken Hunt, Artist and Master Hand-Engraver, without reservation, the distinguished Certificate of Knighthood, in recognition for his many artistic achievements, especially in the specialized field of Artistic Hand-Engraving. This honor, title, is given to exceptional individuals for their many rarely equaled, contributions in expanding, furthering so brilliantly, our current knowledge of Hand-engraving, more specifically, demonstrating by example for us, the design skills, and associated techniques that are required, for the exhibition of his many works, through his superb craftsmanship, and sleight of hand, Hand-Engraving's, endless possibilities! In addition, Ken Hunt is world renowned, recognized, fully appreciated for his generosity of spirit, allowing us to behold in awe, his wealth, his deep repository of creative information, and gifted creative genius, providing us with much needed fuel for inspiration, encouragement and support, with his exquisite artistic ornamental designs and many detailed, original, profound engraving executions. From this day forth, with our utmost respect, Ken Hunt's admirers and disciples will address him as "Sir Kent Hunt"!

As an aside, a little humor:
This award is presented to Mr. Bic, his many fine points, have earned their mark!

This award is presented to Less More, no less, no more!

This award is presented to the Invisible Man, who came and left, without being seen!

OK, the job is yours.

farmer57

I have always wondered why Ken had not been knighted. Not being British, I don't know what the process entails but it seems there are so many lesser lights that carry the title. An organization like The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths or The Hand Engravers Association of Great Britain could put forth Ken's name for the Honors List. I'm sure there is a good deal of politics involved in the process.
Of the two orders that are available in UK (or the Commonwealth countries) to the 'commoners' with the Knighthood status, the Royal Victorian Order is an award for those who performed personal services to the sovereign or to members of the Royal family. In order to get to the Knighthood, he would likely have to be given RV Medal first and then 'advanced' in stature for additional deeds to the higher class within the order.

The other, being the most common and well known, Order of the British Empire is much more frequent in use. Recommendations for the order are still made to the Sovereign (who is the Grand Master of the Order) and then to the order's chancerry where they vote on the potential recipient . The so called senior Knighthood prefix comes with the higher classes (Knigth/Dame Commander and up - prefixed KBE and DBE) where as the lesser classes (Commander, Officer and Member - prefixes CBE, OBE and MBE) are considered Junior. This is a fairly complicated system. They also are bound by the numbers of awards as all membership is restricted to fixed total. At times, we simply don't know about awards of lesser grade and only when someone is made a "Knight" or a "Dame" - it often is preceeded by award of lower class/rank years prior and that is only published in the London Gazette and not necessarily advertised Worldwide. A complex yet interesting topic.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Sponsors