Question: just got my new draw plate, now I just need to know how to use it?

unclejohn

Hello all,, can someone explain to me how to decrease the diameter of the wire so it will fit into the next smallest hole?

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
use a file to point the wire til it will fit thru the hole, lube w/beeswax grab it with your draw tongs (you did get some draw tongs?) and pull

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several methods commonly used. One is to file the end to a point with the taper extending back an inch or so. Another method is to hammer a taper (draw) for an inch or so. If the metal is dead soft (which it should before drawing) you can place the tip between two steel plates and reduce it like rolling out dough or clay. Remember to use a lubricant and anal often. I would suggest you get a copy of "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight for many useful tips and tricks about dealing with metals in the various arts.-Fred

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Make sure your wire is annealed!!!!! you might get by with 3-4 draws on bigger wire but as it gets smaller 2-3 is pushing it sometimes. pure gold will get springy when it's had enough,then it's time to go to the torch.The best way to anneal small wire is with a piece of steel 12-14 ga sheet bent to hand out of the jaws of your vise to make "a diving board". Heat it up from underneath and when the wire relaxes push it off into cold water. If it sizzles it should be ready to go again.Thank you to John B. for the diving instructions!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors