Just for Fun - Wood engravers block

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I came across this today and thought I would share. It is a home made engravers block. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to create if someone on a budget needed one to try their hand at engraving.

Anyway, enjoy.

The full post of how it was made can be found here

Mike

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Great looking piece. . .never saw anything like it before! Tell me, is the wood on top of what looks like a Mixmaster mixing bowl that is polished stainless or chrome, the one with the screw running through it, a piece of spalted wood? Has it been impregnated, as a friend of mine does this process? With care, the 'vise' should hold up for a long time, and is certainly a conversation piece. I don't think a wooden graver would hold up too well, though!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a marvy looking piece you have there. i think if you were to provide sketches/photos-- there may be those wanting to make a similar one. curious-- what is the weight of the vise ? i assume a filler was used in the bottom to add a bit of weight.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had forgotten all about these. When I started my apprenticeship as a Joiner it was in the machine room of a pattern shop. We built casting patterns for motor components of heavy mining machines. Several of the journeymen had specialized tools they had built to hold pattern components. Some of those specialized vices were quite large but the principle was the same. Thanks for bring back memories from better days. Fred

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
It looks like people my think I am the one who built this. Let me assure you I was not. In the original post you will find a link to the original web site, and person who did do this project. There is a lot of detail there if anyone is interested in re-creating it.

Thanks
Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors