Joe Rundell's current Project

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We missed seeing Joe, and his splendid engravings, at Reno this year, but that did not mean that he was not hard at work.

He and I exchange emails and phone calls from time to time. Today I got a letter and newspaper cutting from Joe. I had expressed interest in his present, very large commission. The front page cutting from "The Flint Journal" gave me the story and pictures. It is something quite different from his award winning shotgun that was front page in "The Engraver" Issue 83, 2009.

Joe has been commissioned to sculpt full size figures (to be cast in bronze) of some of the US auto industry's legends. The newspaper featured his clay figure of Chevrolet, the 6 foot 2 inch racer, who gave his name to the auto company about 100 years ago.

I believe next on his list is Mr Buick.

Lest I get the facts wrong, I refer you to the story:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/02/back_to_the_bricks_louis_chevr.html

Congratulations, Joe!

Rod

Attachments

• joe.jpg
    joe.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a great project for Joe. He has exceptional sculptural ability. How many people do you know who would tackle a project like this at 71?

RB

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What an open mind Joe has, imagine going from carving a tiny gun ornament under magnification, to sculpting a figure that needs a fork lift to move it! I hope Joe has kept his camera handy during this project, I would love to see a timeline in photos as these big figures take shape, and if I had enough airline miles saved up, I would love to be a fly on the wall as the bronze casters did their 'do or die' at the foundry in a few months time.

Rod

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe Rundell was the first engraver I met at my first Reno show six years ago. He treated me as an equal right from the beginning, even though I'd just started engraving at that time. I always knew he was a talented wood carver and engraver but I was unaware of his life-size sculpture talents. Before I took up engraving I too dabbled in figurative sculpture and can really appreciate the amount of work he has put into this statue. Can't wait to see final photos of the cast bronze!

Latest posts

Sponsors