Job opportunity in London.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
KATIA my comment wasn't directed at just the EU only there are plenty of brit's working the system it was meant more tounge in cheek Iwas having a shoot more at the cost of living in london based on the wages offered and the average london wage as a self employed person also as you are we know how hard it is when running your own businesses which is not paved with all gold.
Ray

katia

No problem Ray!

I asked for more informations as to what the bonus is for this job. Will let everyone know as soon as they contact me! Suspense!!

katia

PS: funnily enough, I am listening to LBC right now and they are just discussing that 1 in 4 Londoners resort to using pay day loans to get them through the month! This illustrates beautifully the price of living there.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Something even more shocking is that many established engravers who are in full time employment and display amazing skills still have relatively low wages. You would be shocked if you knew what they earn.

The same thing goes for contract jewelers here in the USA. Mall stores such as Helzberg Diamonds and Zales have a price sheet of what they pay. The jeweler either agrees to the price list and signs the contract or... they don't. A couple of years ago both of them were paying $3.00 to re-tip a prong on a setting and then turn around and charge to customer 5 times that. No wonder several of my jeweler friends have gone on to other employment or retired!

It is a shame that highly talented individuals get paid little while some people with no talent whatsoever get paid millions. (Rappers come immediately to mind when I say that)

No wonder more and more jobs end up in the third world countries. :(

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
The whole pay day loan is a great scheme to constantly remove money from its users pockets. If they don't have money to get to next payday.Do ya really think that's going to change for the next. A never ending cycle. For the people living above their means.

Andrew Biggs

One of the problems is that many a tradesman/craftsman/artisan are their own worst enemies. They are generally very good at what they do but crap at the business side of things. One of the aspects of self employment or running a business is learning how to charge properly for your work. It's a balancing act that's not easy and needs constant review and attention.

If you are busy all the time and making a subsistence living, or having to work all hours of the day and night to make ends meet (provided your debt ratio isn't too high)........then you are doing something wrong, or you are in the wrong business.

Naturally prospective employers take advantage of this which is normal. It's no use blaming them because there is always the person that will work for minimum wage in a highly skilled area. The most underused word in the English vocabulary is "no"

Cheers
Andrew

katia

Update:

The agency has now rung me back. They say they are not sure what the bonus is. ( reminder: salary 22-25K pa + bonus.)
They said that they are struggling to find people and that it could be that the employer will want to start from scratch and employ an apprentice. There is an apprenticeship going on at the moment in London for a company that looks a lot like this one as it cites Links of London being one of their customers.) and it is 14k per year, so I suspect it is the same people. ( man, I could work for MI5. Or is it 6?)
Will let you know when they contact me again and if I know what the bonus is.

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I just called a large company about a position they're offering..armed with a few basic questions I came away none the wiser as the recruiting section did not have the knowledge about their own workshop :rolleyes:
Don't you wish people would be abit more prepared before advertising.

katia

Just thought I'd let you know that they have chosen to take on an apprentice.

Latest posts

Sponsors