jett sett vs. grs thermo loc

Big will

So which one do you perfer jett sett or grs thermo loc? I am planning on engraving a copper snuff can for a friend and was thinking about using one or the other to hold the lid and can. Any one have any feedback on which one works better or is their a better way?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Big Will

Of the two I prefer thermolock. It is a far more versatile product. A little bit of heat and it can be manipulated into a lot of holding devices. In theory the jet set was supposed to be softened in water and I never really liked that idea around metal.

Cheers
Andrew

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have and use both

With jewelry items, I tend to like the Jett set best I find that it's easier to soften up and remove from the item.

The thermolock is really nice too, but you have to get it considerably hotter to soften it. I used it once on a fairly delicate part and had a heck of time getting it free.

But for what you are looking to do, I think either product will probably work just fine. I personally think the heat gun that GRS sells is probably the best way to soften the thermolock. Also, the ideal application for the thermolock is to use it to make fixtures, versus just pushing your piece into it like shellac.

To be 100% accurate, I use Jewelers shellac more often than anything else as it doesn't take much heat to make it liquid, and you can use acetone or denatured alcohol to dissolve it.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I use thermo loc, because it's what I have. I heat it in a pyrex measuring cup, in the microwave, in increments. When fully pliable i push it into a small base, like a mold frame, with plenty over the top, and then push my pieces in. I try to make sure that the pieces are secure, that I have access to all the places I need access to, and in most cases I can pop the piece out with little trouble. If it can't be popped, then 30 sec in the microwave will do it. Of course, that works with diamonds, some sapphires and rubies, but I wouldn't try it with emeralds or quartz. You can also cut the piece out, and that's what I do with sensitive stones.
When re-using it, I don't need to make it soft all the way through, just enough to push me pieces in. The mold frame makes a squarish base that fits into my gravers block very securely. It works fine for me.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you should cut a block of wood to fit the inside of the lid and then use black tape around the rim. This has worked great for me for yrs and very easy to do.While I prefer Thermolck for engraving,This is even easier to use.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never really noticed much difference between the two. I think I used the jetset for a couple weeks the way they said. Then started putting it directly in the microwave.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i gave my jett-set to a forum friend. he aint gonna get my thermoloc ! i use a formed insert disk to lend support to the lids. this way i can clamp them directly in the ball vise, thereby eliminating the time needed to use the thermoloc.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use Thermo-Loc on a regular basis. Jett Set works well too, but I think Thermo-Loc is a bit stiffer with less bounce when engraving. However, the convenience factor of being able to microwave it is pretty hard to beat. I make reusable fixtures for many things like pendants, etc.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmmm....Never tried the Jett Sett. I use Thermo-loc and hot glue mostly. They both get soft with a heat gun/hair dryer (which is always within arms reach)
For the parts that I don't want Thermoloc all stuck to, just wrap it in a Walmart plastic bag. Thermoloc won't stick to the plastic bag material.
This is nice when you are making a two-part vise jaw fixture. Place warm Thermoloc on one side, place a piece of Walmart bag over it, do the same with the other side. Run the jaws together to make a flat spot, back them off a bit and push your "Whatever you're engraving" into the plastic covered Thermoloc and allow to cool.
When cool, the plastic will peel away from the Thermoloc and you now have a custom set of jaws and the part is free when you open the jaws.

frank h

They are the same thing with different coloring , Jett set can be used in a microwave the same as the thermo lock. the thermolock can be used in hot water. One is pellets the other is in strips. They are both Polycaprolactone. The same thing as friendly plastic and others.

Frank

mullerforge

I use Plastiform from Frei Borel not sure if they still produce it . I have used all 3 and prefer this due to stiffness and ease of use. I have only had 1 jug for 13 years,it last forever.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
iirc, jett sett now comes in 2 different grades or hardnesses. i believe the harder type has some sort of ceramic filler. and yes, Frank is correct- both are microwaveable, but Tyler Teague (inventor of jett sett) doesn't recommend it just because he doesn't think it works as well as other methods which have much less chance of overheating the material. personally, i prefer a good heat gun, which everybody should have anyway for all sorts of stuff. tried the microwave method once- wasn't faster or better in any way that i could tell...

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just NEVER wrap the piece to be held in paper! It ends up incorparated in the thermo-loc! It may seem obvious to some, but when trying to hold someone else's fancy walnut stock, you try what you have!

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
a quick and easy thing to do when using thermo-loc is to wrap the wood (or anything it sticks to) with TPF tape. This is the tape that is used by plumbers when they are putting threaded pipe together. Give it a test run so you know how it works. it comes in white and yellow. they both work well.
Sandy

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmmm....Never tried the Jett Sett. I use Thermo-loc and hot glue mostly. They both get soft with a heat gun/hair dryer (which is always within arms reach)
For the parts that I don't want Thermoloc all stuck to, just wrap it in a Walmart plastic bag. Thermoloc won't stick to the plastic bag material.
This is nice when you are making a two-part vise jaw fixture. Place warm Thermoloc on one side, place a piece of Walmart bag over it, do the same with the other side. Run the jaws together to make a flat spot, back them off a bit and push your "Whatever you're engraving" into the plastic covered Thermoloc and allow to cool.
When cool, the plastic will peel away from the Thermoloc and you now have a custom set of jaws and the part is free when you open the jaws.

Is it possible to get a youtube video for this?

thank you

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thermoloc all the way. Use a heat gun to quickly get things in and out of it. Set on heat. Place the item. Set on fan only to cool.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to say that I found out there are TWO types of jett set, which I was not aware of when I purchased my last batch. This most recent one I bought by mistake becomes a clear gel when it is heated and also becomes very fluid - it was sticky and not easy to manipulate as it "ran" instead of staying in place as it cooled. The opaque jett set is much more manageable.

Sponsors