Jennings 12 Shot Flintlock Repeating Rifle!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jo
Very interesting piece of history, good thing we teach to only load once with our flintlocks. I can hear it now, did I load it 8 or 9 times? yep could have been a disaster in the making. I wonder if or how many times it was shot. There have been battlefield found muskets that had up to 13 loads in the weapon. It's good they all didn't go off or we wouldn't have the evidence of not knowing the weapon had fired the load initially during the noise and calamity of war.
Mark

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes, Mark, it did say 16,000 rounds per second, however, let's apply a little basic math, shall we? assuming a very generous 50 pre-loaded rounds per barrel (40" loadable bore length & roughly 0.75"/cartridge) and a dozen barrels in a battery, that's 600 shots. so in more practical terms, 16,000 rounds per second may actually mean "Yeah, for less than 4/100ths of a second." Then it's time to reload- which is not likely to be a simple field operation. as long as they're ridiculously extrapolating rate of fire out 2500%, they may as well say "57,600,000 rounds per hour!" It would appear this sort of weapon has virtually zero sustained fire capability, such as one gets with a Dillon Aero Mini-gun. i'm guessing they think "Metal Storm" is a joke. (http://www.dillonaero.com/)

also, the claims in that video make no mention of any superior targeting system. the "wall of bullets" is worthless if that withering barrage is a big, fat miss. (although the cartoon of a phalanx of tanks being instantaneously destroyed like they were smote by the hand of God was cute.)

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Then it's time to reload- which is not likely to be a simple field operation.
Mitch,
No need to reload. Once it expends its payload there is nothing left to shoot back and reloading can be done at one's leisure. Just for comparison, the old mini-gun mounted on a helicopter can saturate every square foot of a football field in less than a minute. If you've ever been under one when they let loose a burst, it's awesome and your pucker relaxes a bit afterwards.

Latest posts

Sponsors