James Meek book

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
I've been running down to the library when I needed to reference his book and now I would like to buy one of my own. I see prices from $30 to $166.00.
Is there a difference in information from the old to the newer books? I just want to be sure before I buy. I'll be buying a new book if there's no difference. Thanks....JohnR

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I may be wrong but to my knowledge the book has not changed over the years. $166.00 is just wrong. Brownell's are the publisher of the book and they sell it as well as many engraving suppliers as well.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anybody know how many printings The Art of Engraving has been through? If anybody has recently purchased a new one from Brownells (the publisher) could you look in the front and let me know what number of printing you have.

Thanks,

Roger

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,
I would be interested in that as well. Actually I do have a SIGNED copy. When the book first came out it was offered as a signed personalized copy.
Rex

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I picked one up at a gun club flee market this past September for the glorious sum of ...$2.

I've had one for years and it's gotten a bit dog eared, so I figured for $2 bucks I couldn't go wrong.

If I were you I'd order one from Brownells on the internet.

I also have a numbered (#8), signed and remarked copy of Ed Prudhomme's "Gun Engraving Review." The man even doodled on the cardboard box that it came in. I often wonder how much it is worth, though I'd never sell it.

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
GRS has it at 47.95

I picked up a copy used and it was signed.... but the book is well used condition.

I also have a pristine used book (so It won't help you on the printing Roger). Go figure the worn one is the signed one. alas.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Roger,

This is from my "The Art of Engraving" copy. I bought it in February, 2008.

JhonR,
I bought it in eBay and paid $47.95 plus $32 to ship it to Spain. It was a new boxed copy.

Best regards,
Leonardo

Attachments

• JBMeek_printing.jpg
    JBMeek_printing.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 93

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i loaned my copy to one of the forum members some time ago. cant even remember who it was. i nearly wore the book out. i consider the book a classic to this day.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: I've got a (new) James Meek book as a NewYear's present from my wife & daughter:)! They found it on the web for something around $ 62,- (yep, shipping & handling to Belgium included!), I'm very happy with it, such a great source of info on engraving ! Kind regards, Paulie:beerchug:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for a newbie who wants it all in one package, from a book- this book is just about the only choice. as it shows most all one needs to learn.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
for a newbie who wants it all in one package, from a book- this book is just about the only choice. as it shows most all one needs to learn.

There is alot there but there is much that is missing from today's world of engraving.

I could never seem to grasp how to sharpen from the book's instructions.

There is nothing about the latest tools such as power hone, sharpening fixtures, sharpening templates, Gravermax/mach/airtact, Lindsay airgravers, carbide, cobalt, crabalt, Cmax gravers, microscopes, turntables, low profile or positioning vises, etc, etc, etc. I could go on and on.

The book is about forty years old. It is certainly useful to a beginner but that is mainly because there has been nothing in the past forty years to supercede it.

It amazes me that with so much talent out there and so many who teach engraving that nobody has made an up to date instruction manual. It would be a gold mine that would keep paying dividends for many years considering that Art of Engraving has been through more than 26 printings without revision.

More than two years ago I met an engraver named John Shippers (who is well known in longrifle circles) who was writing and illustrating an instruction manual. I saw the proofs and it looked like it was ready to go to the printer. A year later I saw the proofs made into a loseleaf binder. It could have been taken to Kinkos that day and he would have had a saleable book (and a good one at that) but he told me he still wanted to do some revisions and he had a small publisher that was going to print and market it by Christmas 2009. Christmas came and went. I and others who saw the proofs are frustrated because it is apparent that he will tinker with it ad infinitum. Given his age, the book will probably end up in a construction dumpster after his passing:(

I recently spoke with another colleague (who I won't name) who was working on an all encompassing instruction manual. I know he could do it and it would be very good but too many other projects have interposed themselves on him so I'm not too hopeful in that case unless he reads this and decides to elevate its priority.:beat up:

It just occurred to me that some of you reading this are asking yourselves "why doesn't Roger write it." I am working on another publication at this time that you will hear more about later. If someone doesn't pick up this gold on the ground I might make an instruction manual my next project even though there are probably some of my colleagues better suited to do it.

CRB