Italian engravers

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I will be going to Italy next May. Where in Italy is the street where all the gun engravers work.
Rod

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Rod,
Go to Chris Decamillus's Web site.
Then click on his Italian tour 2013.
It tells of the places he took his people to.

Another person to contact would be Barry Hands.
He's traveled the Seven Seas as well as Italy.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is no one street on which all or even most engravers work in Gardone, V.T. Most of them work in private homes and studios scattered around the valley. Additionally, very few of the best known engravers speak English. Two exceptions that come to mind are Stefano Pedretti and Dario Cortini, who is the master of the Bottega Cesare Giovanelli engraving school and studio. The address of the school is: 43 Via X Giornate, Gardone Val Trompia, BS 25063.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mario Abbiatico said in his book Modern Firearm Engravings you could hear the tapping of the hammers coming from the homes of the engraver while walking the cobble stone streets. J.J.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
<"Mario Abbiatico said in his book Modern Firearm Engravings you could hear the tapping of the hammers coming from the homes of the engraver while walking the cobble stone streets. J.J.">

Hmmm, all sitting in rows behind north facing windows?

B.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How does it affect their production when these foreigners stop in for a visit? Are they glad to see you or are they ****ed because the visiting interrupted their work?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Lenny,When visiting an engraver in Italy I would go with a bottle of wine and cheese. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario Abbiatico's comment about hearing hammers tapping as you walk down the street is a romantic fiction. Mario wrote in florid prose.

Everyone that I met was very hospitable. That said, Elena Michelli-Lamboy had set up prearranged appointments for us. I was traveling with Scott Pilkington and publisher, S. P. Fjestead, who has given these Italian engravers lots of ink. We were working on the Mario Terzi book at the time.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Today, the best place to casually meet the best of the italian engravers is saturday morning at the Milan knife show in November.
Last year there were both Fracassis, Pedersoli, Torcoli and Simone Fezzardi, and a couple others.
And of course at times they are busy with knifemakers, and you should respect that, most of the time they are standing about chatting.
If you dont speak italian, there are some freelance interpreters available sometimes in the room for hire.
If you want introductions, a proffesional way might be to contact Elena Michele Lamboy, as she knows everyone.
This year i believe the Milan knife show is around nov 28-29. I will be in milan from nov 22-30 to see my knife collecting buddies, and its a good excuse to christmas shop on Via Montenapoleone. :)

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario Abbiatico's comment about hearing hammers tapping as you walk down the street is a romantic fiction. Mario wrote in florid prose.

When I walked through the backstreets in 1984, I could indeed hear that tapping that he mentioned ;)

Phil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors