Question: Issuing Certificates

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did a quick search of the forum, and didn't see where this has been addressed in the past, so...:thinking::thinking:
The question is what do you think of the idea of issuing a certificate of authenticity with your engraving? :thumbsup::no::eek:
I had a client recently who requested one, and I don't know whether it is a good idea or not!:confused:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm a no one when it comes to engraving. .. but in the collectors world, if your an established master engraver I would think someone can try to imitate your work and sell it as if it was there's . For example same piece being engraved if Sam would engrave it it would be a lot more valuable than if I did.

Hmmm did that make sense?

Plus the extra sense of security that one gets when you purchase a one-of-a-kind piece with a certificate. Just feels better. Then add your personal seal in that red wax it would look nice!

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't see how it would be a bad idea unless it looks cheesy and cheap. If it has similar quality to a fine English gun case label then it'd be REALLY nice. They keys will be 1.) design, 2.) printing, 3.) paper. Letterpress printing would be an excellent option.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if such was done, i'd think a price adjustment would be in order. afterall, you'd think the purchase was made with investment in mind.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, Sam, way to raise the bar! I don't think he was asking for anything like as wild as you are talking about, but I can see how that would be pretty classy. Might make them as little less counterfeitable, too!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just a thought there's some eight and a half by 11 certificates that we use at school its not regular paper looks really fancy with the gold foil outline might try thinking of something like that and with a personal red wax seal would look really nice.

They run right through the printer you're seal would make it original

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Seems like a certificate would be easier to counterfeit than a master engraver's style. And why do people believe a certificate makes something legit?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Could always put your fingerprint on it. Lol. Just saying that would be very hard to counterfeit. And would help if you were taken to court over some bad counterfeit job someone played good money for.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Anything can be copied but that's not something I'd give second thought to. I simply think it's a classy touch of professionalism if it's done right.

What collector wouldn't cherish a signed certificate by L.D. Nimschke, Rudolph Kornbrath, or Gustav Young?

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Not a cert of authenticity but I've done "build sheets" on some custom 1911s. My info, customer, gun info, completion date, work done, parts used, finishes, etc, all printed on letterhead. Even those that are not collectors get a kick out of it. It may not have any financial benefit but the personal touch is quite valuable.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like what Sam mentioned with the look of an English gun case. Since we're all engravers. Why not just engrave a plate that could be printed. I've never messed with the intaglio process but I'm sure there are folks out there that would be happy to take your engraved plate and make a run of "Certificates". They could then be hand dated and numbered as necessary. Heck the cert would then become of some value in itself. Might have to give this one a shot.

Latest posts

Sponsors