Question: is it possible to see a few pages of Ron Smith's Advanced Drawing Of Scrolls

yakob

Hi,

I have bought a few engraving books but these books don't have the information that I want,

this time I want to buy Ron Smith's Advanced Drawing Of Scrolls book but I want to see a few pages of it to have an idea before I buy it.

Is it possible to see them, how can I do that ? can anyone who has this book show me a few pages of it.

Does anyone know how I can send e-mail to Mr. Ron Smith.

Thanks.

mrthe

Is a very very good book, but personally i think the best i have buy about scrolls drawing,to understand it,is the art & design fundamentals by Lee Griffiths

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yakob: I don't know of a way to see it unless you know someone who can show you their copy. Obviously the material is copyrighted so photographing or scanning pages for someone to preview is probably not a good idea. Sometimes Amazon.com shows a few preview pages. Did you check there?

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yakob, if you're wanting to learn about drawing scrolls, you'll find that there aren't but a handful of books on the subject.
ANY book about drawing scrolls is worth owning, regardless of your budget.
There are enough people on this forum that will tell you Ron Smith's book is priceless.

yakob

Thanks for your answers,

Actually, I want to learn complex leaf drawing like below photo.

Is there any other book that you can suggest me about complex leaf drawing,

It will be perfect if you help me to understand drawing of this kind of leaf ;)

In my country there is no engraving book and it is really hard to buy them online because there are lots of customs procedure,

fortunately I have some friend in USA and in some European countries and they buy the books for me and bring them when they come back.

Does anyone know Mr. Ron Smith's e-mail address ?

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ron Smith is not online at the moment.

Consider getting Lee Griffith's DVD set as he covers various leaf designs. You might also contact Chris at engraversstudio.com and see if he can help you since those are his designs.

yakob

Ron Smith is not online at the moment.

Consider getting Lee Griffith's DVD set as he covers various leaf designs. You might also contact Chris at engraversstudio.com and see if he can help you since those are his designs.

Dear Mr. Sam,

I am not sure if you remember or not, I asked for a suggestion about your DVD and Mr. Lee's book and DVD set. you can see my post at following address

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?10885-Which-book-do-you-suggest&highlight=book+suggest

I bought Mr. Lee's book and it is great, it is very easy to understand his teaching method and also his English is pretty clear, although I am not good at English I can understand %95 of his English.

I have sent some e-mail to Mr. Chris but I haven't get any response from him. I believe he is very busy.

As I mentioned I want to learn complex leaf structures but I didn't find this kind of leaf structures in Mr. Lee's book and DVD set,

It might be because of, I am not a professional engraver and maybe because of this reason I can not draw complex leaf after I read Mr. Lee's book and watch his DVD although it is a great book and DVD.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Yakob

There is no book to teach you this particular style of leaf arrangement/ornament.

Ron Smiths book is excellent and I would highly recommend it. It's one of the most comprehensive books available on scroll and leaf designs that you can ever buy...............but it doesn't teach you that style exactly. It teaches you how to build leaves and scrolls in a general way. It gives you the building blocks to achieve this. The rest is up to you

What you are looking at is an amalgamation of several years of practice, study, observation and trial and error. All the books and DVD's that are out there show you the steps that you take to build up the structure of a design and the rest you have to learn through practice and patience...........this is called developing your own style.

I suggest that you look at pictures like this and start drawing and understanding how it all works. Over time you will get the hang of it.......................it just takes a lot of practice and time. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do this.

Cheers
Andrew

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
You might want to buy Sam A's DVD on Scroll drawing also. It is pretty good.
Sandy

Joe

If you google "guide to drawing the acanthus", you will find an old book by a James Page. The entire book is free on-line. You might also consider studying one-on-one with Chris DeCamillis in his on-line school. It's a great way to learn.

Sponsors