Announcement: Introduction

ShovelheadDan

Hello, Gentlemen.

I have always wanted to get into engraving and finally decided that if it is going to happen, I need to get off my butt and jump in. I talked to an old man I know who does it and asked him how to go about getting started and he advised buying a copy of "The Art of Engraving" by James Meek and go from there. I found one on Amazon and will order it next week.
I asked him about the tool costs thinking it couldn't be that bad, a hammer and a few chisels. He said about $7500. I guess my mouth dropped or something, because he said that the vise alone would be $500.
So, I got online to check all of this out and found your forum.
I see now about the equipment costs.
I like the pneumatic gravers and think they may be easier to learn.
It looks like I need to go with either Lindsay or GRS. The GRS unit needs no air compressor but is almost $2000.
The lindsay unit looks like it can hook up to a normal air compressor so that one is probably the one I will get.
I can't see myself ever getting as good as some of the videos I've watched.
I will be happy as a clam to get as good as the photos I will post.
I mainly want to do motorcycle parts and If I ever get good enough to do a gun, that would be fantastic.
If I had started when I was young, I could see myself getting as good as anyone else but I am retired now and don't have the years left to spend mastering a new craft.
So, all that being said, it looks like I will be ordering the book, and some kind of vise.
If you guys would be so kind as to recommend a particular graver, vise etc. I would dearly appreciate it.
Now I will try to add a photo or two of what skill level I want to attain. If I can't do that, just think "motorcycle parts" and that should give you an idea. :)
http://www.bikernet.com/news/images/PhotoID26978.jpg
This level would be awesome:
http://www.bikernet.com/news/images/PhotoID26978.jpg

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
The GRS setup also requires a compressor.

If you want to engrave motorcycle parts then the word around the forum is that the NitroG20™ AirGraver is the tool for the job, the Tungsten Dead Blow™ Piston is also an advantage, as it helps the graver deliver more force. http://airgraver.com/Air Engraver NitroG20.htm
When it comes to the vice I would say to get one as big and heavy as you can get. They are more stable when working with a lot of force and when working on heavy objects.

However, you could also try a few cuts with a hammer and a chisle before you desides anything, just to get the feel of that as well.

Best of luck

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
Beginner here:
Hang in there and keep an eye on the forum classifieds and eBay. It took me 4-5 months until I finally found a good vise used for a good price.
As far as air assist systems, read through all the threads on the different tools to make your decision, I researched for several months before I decided on the Lindsey classic system, and am very happy with it. It is a lot of money for tools so buy quality... Buy once, cry once. Just my two cents.

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I am also retired and a beginner, my advise is do your homework first, read the Meek book, read the tutorial section before buying any equipment. Engraving has been done for centuries without all of the modern conveniences and tools that are available today. You can make this hobby as cheap or as expensive as you want. A bowling ball and a drill press vise is my vise set up, cost was less than $20.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will find out everything you want to know. The further you progress the deeper the well gets. So you made a great start by asking your questions on the Forum, it will become your dictionary for the skill.

Most of all have fun, there is so much to learn and see. As to being too old, I bet you learned to use a cell phone.(I did) :^)

scott99

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. If motorcycle parts are your interest you DO NOT have to have a air assisted set-up or a engraving vise. They will be helpful at times but to get started you can use Hammer and Chisel, Optivisor, polishing wheel, graver sharpening system of your choice, and a few other niceties.....big thing is can you draw? Create cool designs?
Have you seen these videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2rB8SMaGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOD7wPWlys

If you start out like this you may find you never need to go air assist.

Donny

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I would advise you to attempt to take a class, actually try some of the tools and make sure that this is something you want to spend that much money on. It can be very frustating, even if you take a class, but without a class, or somebody knowledgable who is willing to work closely with you, there is a real possibility of giving it up before you even go.
The book is a start, but all the books really do is show you what is possible, and not much on how to do it. Better than books are some of the DVD's available on cutting, design, layout etc. There are also many vids on You Tube. Just do your homework first, the if you still want it, jump in with both feet! It can be so rewarding.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
donny's correct. all the tools & toys wont make you draw a bit better. get some sketch paper and a note book. take notes off the forum & learn to draw.

ShovelheadDan

Thank you for the advice, Guys.
I have been watching videos and reading through the forum posts.
I have seen some of the videos of people making vices out of bowling balls and may give that a try since I will be starting off on large pieces but will also want a small ball vice for small stuff.
I will buy a hammer and chisels but will also want an air graver and the Nitro G20 looks good. Thank you for that tip.
Yes, I can draw what I see but I finally decided the reason I can't draw without looking at something is because I can't picture my subject in very much detail in my head. Why that is I don't know. Lack of imagination maybe. :) But if I can see it, I can draw it fairly well.
I will have to teach myself from books and videos and practicing on my own bikes and guns and such as taking a class is not a possibility at this time. Probably never.
I have seen some amazing work like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_H4ogdBBHo
Wow.
Can you guys advise me on which chisels and hammers to get and where to get them? I'm sure there are many to choose from. I've noticed that there are different degrees of angled tips to choose from.
I have a 40x40 shop full of welders, torches, compressors and all the normal hand tools (plus a few bikes begging for some embellishments) so hammers I have. It is the special ones I will be needing.
I don't really need to start small as I know that once I start, I will not back out. So I don't mind shelling out for the good tools before I make my first cut.
This is something that I believe I can pick up on because small tedious and artistic things have never been much of a problem for me.
I just regret not getting into it 20 years ago.
Again, thanks for any and all advice.

ShovelheadDan

Another question, What is the black stuff you color backgrounds with?
Is it paint or some kind of ink? I have a Belgium Browning .380 renaissance like this one:
http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/taa9891.jpg
and it was damaged in a house fire and had to be polished so now it has lost all of that beautiful patina and is very shiny all over and I've been wanting something to rub into the engraving to bring the contrast back.
Thanks again

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the forum
I use speedball oil base block printing ink # 3550 you can get it at any art store. Also a lot of folks use rust oleum flat black enamel. Wipe the ink on then use the heel of your hand to remove the excess to your liking.
As to the tools sounds like you are already hooked, the air tools will cut the learning curve a lot, but sharp gravers are a must I recommend the Lindsay template system , fool proof and reliable . So go for it. MTC. YMMV

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Shovelhead

We are bestowed with one of the best motorcycle engravers in the entire United States!

Go to the search box in the upper right corner and type in "Otto Carter".
Scroll down to motorcycle engraving.
See if you can take a class from him or maybe visit for an hour or so to get a grasp of what tools are needed.
He is located in Abilene , Texico.
Also G- www.ottocarter.com
Do NOT jump off into this without at least contacting him!
Trying to figure out, just HOW to secure the parts for engraving alone is worth the trip!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan,

Otto Carter does great motorcycle engraving but I don't know if he does instruction. C. J. Allen is another engraver who specializes in motorcycle work and he gives classes. He is located in Western Kentucky. This is a link to him. http://cjs-engraving.com/index.html

Since you still don't have a location in your profile, I don't know if if you are closer to Texas, Kentucky, or Timbuktu but even if you can't take a class most engravers won't mind if you visit them and ask a few questions and look at their tools. There are people on this forum from all over the world and you may be close to one of them.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One thing I noticed in your post and would highly advise against is practicing on your own bikes and guns. When you first start out, practice on scrap metal of the same grades that you'll be engraving on in the future.
If your progression is anything like mine and other engravers I know, you get to the point that you think you are doing well. At this point you are tempted to cut a gun and grab the nearest thing in your gun safe. A year later you realize you had no clue what you were doing and that gun will go to the back of the safe, never to see the light of day again.
Never use the real thing to practice unless it's a scrap part. Find an experienced engraver you can show your work to or post here on the forum for critique and you'll know when it's time to cut the real thing. It will save you from regret.
The most important thing I've learned over the years is that the pencil and your head are the most important tools you own. Buy nice pencils. Engraving is the easy part. Good design takes some doing.

Airbrusher

I see many of you experienced guys are refering to Lindsays handpieces for a bit bigger projects, like motorcycle parts.
What about the GRS Magnum? I thought that one was pretty powerful!?! Or am I wrong there?
I'm not a engraver myselfe yet, but I'm thinking of testing this out, and am reading and doing a lot of research now before I decides what equipment to buy.

Latest posts

Sponsors