Intoduction

bronzetools

Hello everyone,
My name is Steve Leonberger.I am a Finish Carpenter and a Cabinetmaker from Central Illinois who has started making bronze woodworking tools. I have taken all the evening metalworking and welding classes my local community college offers and have converted 1/4 of my cabinet shop into a machine shop. I built a small foundry outside of my shop and have been casting small bronze hand planes. I design and fabricate all my patterns and have taken an interest in using scroll and engraving designs to carve in my patterns. I will then reproduce them in cast metal.I have the Joe Rundell FEGA DVD and I am now in the process of learning to draw scroll patterns.
I have both of Ron Smith's books and they are a wonderful resource.I would love to attend a show where I could view some of Joe Rundell's work as I am sure pictures cannot capture the depth of his artistry.
I believe the engravers craft will help me take my woodcarving to the next level and beyond.
I am very grateful to the engraving community for openly sharing their craft in print, video and online as engraving classes present too great a financial hardship at this time.
Best Regards Steve

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Steve, I might suggest a visit to this web site http://hamlertools.blogspot.com/ and http://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Hamler.htm a Google search will provide much more under Paul Hamler Tools he is the true master of the miniature woodworking tool. I have had the please of visiting with him on two occasions and holding these masterpiece's in my hands. He is also a marvelous gentleman who share so much with others-Fred

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello Steve, and welcome to the Cafe! Have fun, post pictures, ask questions, and make friends. :)

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,
An excellent and overwhelming opportunity to look at and sometimes hold masterpieces including Joes as well as many others is at our FEGA exhibition next month in Reno. Bring a good camera and note book...

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
I second Tim's opinion - FEGA is able to bring a truly astounding amount of talent into one ballroom. Come if you're able to.
Gary

bronzetools

Thanks to everyone for the tips.Much as I would love to attend the FEGA show the economy has me in a crunch like I have never seen in 25 years of carpentry,maybe next year if times are better and its within a days drive.Fred ,I met Paul Hamler at a MWTCA show and had the honor of running an errand to get some Co2 cylinders for his air graver.Paul is a incredible craftsman and was very helpful with constructive comments on my work in progress.Looking back I wish I would not have shown him a half finished plane!Mr.Hamler was a true gentleman and open with his knowledge of his craft.He is the man that inspired me to start reading about the engravers craft.
Thanks to all
Steve

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome, sir. send fotos- so we recognize your work when we see it in the museums.

bronzetools

Hello All,
I have included some photos of some of my patterns and planes. They are still in need of infills and final finishing at this point but I am very happy with them so far.I have made about 8 of each.Just to clear up some possible confusion. I am not an engraver .I am a man who studies lots of other crafts besides my own to gather tips and inspiration to move my craft forward. I have not engraved on my planes but I have been studying scrollwork and I am trying to learn how to draw scrolls so I can carve them into my patterns and then cast them in bronze using the lost wax process. I am grateful to everyone for openly sharing their craft,it truly serves to elevate everyones work.
Now for a little story.
I sadly had to evict a tenant that was living in a cabin I rent because he chose to spend his money on alcohol,tobacco,and who knows what else rather than rent.I was forced to shut off his power to get him to leave.When he had left and I changed the locks,we had a cold snap. The power was going to be off until noon the next day.Worried that the pipes might freeze I got a couple of kerosene heaters and proceeded to warm the place up.I kept an eye on them for about an hour to make sure they had warmed up and were working properly and then went to get more kerosene.When I returned
one of the heaters had caught fire and covered the every surface of the cabin with a thick layer of greasy soot. No real damage but what a mess.My wife, bless her heart was right by my side helping me clean and paint until after about a week we were done.Sooooo.... when I tried to explain to that kerosene soot could actually be useful to engravers to take smoke pulls she was less than amused and said "Well ,Isn't that a fan fact to know and tell"
I should have used propane and kept my fun facts to myself.
Steve

Attachments

• DSC01735.jpg
    DSC01735.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01739.jpg
    DSC01739.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC01727.jpg
    DSC01727.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 48

bronzetools

Hello all,
Here are some photos of my planes and the patterns I made to cast them.I tried to post last night but I don't think it worked.One point to avoid confusion,
I am not an engraver and have not engraved on my planes.I am a man who studies a lot of other crafts besides my own in order to pick up tips and methods to refine my work. I have been reading about engraving and trying to practice drawing scroll so I may in turn design and carve detail into my patterns that I will cast in bronze.I am very grateful to everyone who openly shares there craft.It truly serves to elevate everyones work.
Thanks to all
Steve

Attachments

• DSC01735.jpg
    DSC01735.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01733.jpg
    DSC01733.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01727.jpg
    DSC01727.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 21

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the Cafe Steve.

Your planes look pretty good and look to be a good canvas for some engraving.

A forum member named Cloudy has been engraving some planes and posting them lately.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the house of artistically inclined people. send us fotos, elsewise we may have to come and raid your shop some night !

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome,Steve:beerchug:
You have found the right place to study.so many talented people willing to share there knowledge.Sorry you had to kick your tennant out and glad you didn't lose the cabin.
Dennis

Latest posts

Sponsors