Inspired from the NRA convention

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
First I'd like to thank Lynda, Rex, Roger, and Michael for allowing me to watch them ply their craft. Also to give me a chance to have a pneumatic tool in my hand for the first time......wow what a new territory for me. I seemed to be quite intimidated to try this new venue in public. Funny I demo hammer and chisel style all the time for a number of years. I guess it's just the comfort level. Anyway I thought I'd show my first doodle with a palm graver, I've mostly only used the burin for shade work. This is a free hand doodle inspired from watching Michael Dubber all weekend at the show. Any comments are welcome......and no I didn't draw anything just engraved some different type work than I'm accustomed.
Mark Thomas
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Attachments

• Push graver doodle after NRA show.JPG
    Push graver doodle after NRA show.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 225

DARNEW

What is a burin that you used for the shade work. I think Iam missing something about shading. I have only been using a square graver, but I notice that whan I look at other peoples work there is more to their shading than just lines.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Darnew,
The burin is another term I use for the palm graver. And the one I used to doodle with is a square that I have no idea what size, it came from a bunch of old rusted gravers I picked up at an auction. Just sharpened are started playing.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

It was great to meet you at the NRA convention! It was a real treat to see the extraordinary tomahawk that you crafted and is pictured elsewhere in the Cafe. By the way your scrolls on the copper plate look really nice.

Roger

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey Mark I see you had a good time at the convention. Are you going to go power assist now? Glad you got to meet Mike and Rex..two very talented engravers. I did Dennis' show this week-end and picked up a couple of jobs, made some new friends, and bought a bunch of muzzle loader components. When is your next show?
Keep up the good work.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Mark,
It was nice to meet you. Things were just too crazy to get much visiting time in however. What a BUSY show huh? I hope you got a chance to see the show. I only had a chance to run around a bit before the show opened on Sunday.
Rex

Latest posts

Sponsors