Question: Inspiration

kaen

I have recently joined and my interest is flintlock guns. I have absolutely no experience in building flintlocks and even less in engraving. I have completed my first flintlock pistol and I would like to engrave the side plate and tang. I have already purchased a square graver, mushroom handle, couple of stones and two practice plates. My first attempts at engraving were dismal and I think my slips outnumbered the deliberate lines. Realizing my shortcomings I purchased Meeks' book, a chasing hammer, a Crocker sharpening jig and two more practice plates. The next two plates showed signs of improvement but I still have a long way to go before I dare to touch the side plate and tang. The title to the thread is Inspiration, because I need advice on where I could find examples of basic engraving that was typical on flintlock guns around the late 18th to early 19th centuries. According to Meek, one should practice with purpose and this makes sense to me. Where could I find examples of engraved flintlocks during the time frame indicated?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
kaen, I would start practicing with the H&C that be less stressful, get a small bench vice and mount the vice to a pedestal so you can walk around it when cut scrolls. Where do you live? maybe we can get with someone in your area to help you. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. the tips section contains many good ideas on low budget sharpening. sharpening is critical, as consistent angles between sharpenings will shorten you learning curve for doing engraving. mot of us who have used the crocker tend to hold it in rather low regard. having said that, it is better than nothing at all. for books, any of the suppliers to the "frontstuffers" have many books available that show these old engravings. most of the old engraving was done with very elementary cutting techniques the work came to life through good design work. mr meeks wrote the first "biblical treatise" on the art of engraving. i would favor seeing you getting a bit of cutting experience before jumping on the real parts. you're about to embark on an amazing journey, so why be in a hurry ? most all the forum members are more than willing to help newbies. proof of this is to be seen on every forum page. look in the archive, you'll find some good examples of the work you wish to do. good luck in your efforts.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Kaen
Building flinters is part of my business so if I can help send me a pm. If you're close to Allentown Pa., Dixon's Gunmakers Fair is this weekend outside of Kempton, a great event and a lot of good folks. The Contemporary Longrifle Association is another show in Ky. that has a lot of makers work to view and a most would help you with questions. You've been given some sound advice previously so slow down and enjoy the ride, it's slow and tedious but the rewards are worth it.
Mark

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is the answer to all your prayers

Carlos De La O III

kaen

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and insight.
JJRoberts - I live in Etobicoke, Ontario.
MTGraver - I made the pilgrimage to Dixon's a year ago. Lots of friendly and helpful people.
dlilazteca - A highly regarded publication but a little rich for my budget, (just retired).