Inlaid bit and sterling buckle

l. bacon

These two pieces are my most recent work. The bit is special order spade, inlaid and blued. The buckle is sterling and bronze. I've admired the work posted to this site for so long and have been hesitant in posting my own. Feedback and comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 156
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC01190.jpg
    DSC01190.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 181

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here I post all my junk, and your worried about your stuff. Looks pretty dog gone good to me. Very nice and thanks for showing us. Can't beat it, thanks. Seth

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent work. I am sure your client is very pleased. I am curious about the inlay technique you used. Are the gold pieces simply inlayed or inlayed and soldered or are they traditionally appliqued?

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Is the mouth piece and braces loose or solid? Great looking bit. How did you cut your groves for your stripes?
Rod

l. bacon

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll attempt to answer some of your questions:

I am curious about the inlay technique you used. Are the gold pieces simply inlayed or inlayed and soldered or are they traditionally appliqued? James

The inlays are fine silver in 24 gauge. I inlay it in traditional manner by undercutting and pounding the silver down into the groove.

Is the mouth piece and braces loose or solid? Great looking bit. How did you cut your groves for your stripes? Rod

The bit is called a loose jaw where the mouthpiece is mounted to the cheek pieces loose and the braces are loose also. I cut the grooves by holding a file on edge and filing the grooves to the depth of the silver.

I hope this answers your questions. Thank you again for looking and posting comments. I appreciate the feedback.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not only excellent artistry, but the subject matter is quite inspirational as well. i'd say 6 stars, at least ! THE BIT is beyond beautiful. exceptional, to say the very least !

Last edited: