Incuse designs

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Incuse is to stamp or hammer a design..like a picture on a coin.
Amazing what a dictionary can do as I'd never heard of that either :rolleyes:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure if this would help at all, but there is a coin making guild in the S.C.A. (Society for Creative Anachronism). I know that they research historical ways of making dies for striking coins, if all els fails you might try them.
Just a random thought. :thinking:
David

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Incuse coin is like a hob or signet as its finished form. Usually done like chasing rather than metal removal if I understand correctly. It is negative when finished. Either no decoration is raised or only parts of the design are raised. You could use an Incuse coin just like a signet ring with sealing wax. From what I read they were used to prove you had money to back up a debt. Like proving the money was actually at home and waiting to be paid when the guy delivered the cow.- That's what I found when I looked it up on the numerology site. Fred

Bob West

Yep, incuse engraving removes the material for the object to be viewed, leaving the background untouched. It is a striking effect. U.S. Indian Head gold coins from the late 1800's to the early 1900's were done in incuse. There are any number of high wear applications that one could use this method for.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
so this process, such as for making the coins shown above (thanks, Roger), makes for somewhat unusual striking dies, as well. it would seem the background of the dies themselves would be relieved, leaving the images & lettering raised on the die face? with at least the images (and perhaps the lettering, too) carved down into those raised pads similar to intaglio- and reversed like a signet ring or seal? have i got that straight or am i missing something?

Sponsors