Help, please: I Need Help with Hobo Nickels and the tools that go with them

Hobo_Nickels

Hi everyone! I am relatively new to engraving. My main interest is carving Hobo Nickels. So far, I have made 7 hobo nickels, and I am starting to get better. I found a few hand gravers (just regular not the fancy ones, lol but they have big ends), sharpened the ends of some rasps, so I have a carver/grinder in one, (doesn't work that great :rolleyes: ) a bench vice(problem with it is it damages the coins), sand paper, and a sharpening stone. I know, not the best tools, but its what I could come up with. So my question is how can I do better with, or make the best of these tools, or get better tools real cheap? I am very happy I found this forum! Thanks very much in advance!

-HN

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
check out the tips section. if you're like me, you'll end up making a lot of your own "tiny tools" as i call them. hot melt glue on a block of wood. clamp the wood in your vise. when finished, common rubbing alcohol will release the glue bond. good luck & send a foto or 2 to show us your work.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I am in new jersey and carve hobo nickels. If you want to take a ride i can get you set up.

Hobo_Nickels

Thanks for the advice monk! I never though of that!!!

Keith, thank you so much for the offer, but I can't do that right now. Is there a way you could help without me having to travel?
Thanks guys!

-HN

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
mrthe has created a set of templates he uses to cut Nickels, Lindsay sells them on his website, perhaps mrthe can tell you more about them. There are ways to create inexpensive graver blanks, Lindsay's HSS blanks are reasonable at $30 for 5. and do not require diamond hones to sharpen. A commitment to engraving is not cheap, some people feel commitment is important, there are a few people on this forum who are relatively certain I should be committed.

Bob

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can do alot of shaping/sharpening on a bench grinder. You just have to be careful not to overheat the graver. The diamond setter Jura does his sharpening on a grinder.

The cool thing about the grinder is you can pick one up at the home depot for around $50-100.

It will save you tons of time.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you're really that hard up, buy a few cheap gravers from eBay. It's quicker and easier than trying to convert a screwdriver.

Guys share a lot of stuff here on the forum and there is an excellent DVD by Sam on sharpening but you might have to spend some time and effort actually researching what you want to know by going through old posts, and you might have to spend a few bucks on tools.

Show us your efforts, ask for advice or critique and you'll get it but don't expect to be spoon fed info, that's all.

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Recently on this forum I posted making a graver from an old style concrete nail with a Lindsay template. While it works and it could be used a HSS graver is not expensive and in the long run much less expensive than junk. If you want to engrave without an instructor you need to know your tools are not working against you, get a Lindsay template system and some HSS graver blanks. A graver made of the right steel properly sharpened is by far the most important tool you will own as an engraver, all else if very helpful but without a graver you cannot engrave. Stop trying to make do and get the proper tools to start, make do later.

Bob

Hobo_Nickels

Sorry to come across that way. I have been doing alot of research, and learning. I am willing to spend money, but I am trying to find the best way to go about it. I am a student, and most of my money goes toward college.

-HN

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I don't believe Marcus was trying to be mean spirited, people often join to ask how they can engrave without investing anything, no time, money or effort as though engraving were magic. Often when they realize it takes a great deal of all three to do so they disappear never to be seen again. So if the old timers here seem less than anxious to repeat the pattern once again try be patient with them, they just want to help those who really want to engrave.

Bob

konteil

Also in NJ and just getting stated carving hobos. Where abouts in NJ are you? Im in south jersey vineland area.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Lincroft, NJ. Konteil, I responded to you in my hobo nickels post where you asked where to buy the holders.

Last edited:

rfattig

Or you can pick up a couple 1/8" aircraft bits at your hardware store. Each one makes a couple hss gravers. Some brands don,t harden the base but you can.

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors