Announcement: I made a Video on drawing direct onto metal using Chinese White

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is not me who invented the wheel, and neither is this something new I come up with.
This seems to be an old technique that was used for years and was, or still is, educated at the engraving schools.
As I only graduated from “I hate schoolsâ€￾ but I read about Chinese White here in the Café so I thought I was ready to give it a try.
After studying scroll design using a computer, pencil and paper I have the need to draw direct onto the metal. To me it has more interaction whit the item that will be engraved.
On top of that this works fast and produces a unique design every time.
I know there are other and perhaps better ways instead of using the Chinese White. I also tried Sam Alfano’s transfer wax, and sure that works great too, of course it is as Sam is using it.
Problem with the wax however is that you may not touch the surface or the design is erased.

If you have anything to add to my explanations in the video, please feel free to tell us.

arnaud

[video=youtube;P7KLia3Sfbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7KLia3Sfbc[/video]

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Good, clear video Arnaud. The Chinese white is certainly much easier to see than transfer wax layouts. It has good contrast and as you pointed out, is easy to fix if you want to change your design.

I will add this to the Tips Archive :)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank You Sam, I'm still working on a better way to add the Chinese White layer. I will update asap.

As I said, once the design is drawn, it invites you to cut it too. So here is the result.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Very nice cutting.

Years ago I tried the white shoe polish that nurses use on their shoes. I think was very durable.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, you didn't say what your are using to "wet" the Chinese white. It might sound strange but I have been using spit as a wetting agent with Chinese white for 40 years (for other than engraving) and it works great. Seems to cover more smoothly, less crawling from the edges, makes for a smooth thin coating.

Just a thought.

scott99

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the tip Scot, I will have to try if my spit works as well. If not I will let you know so you can bottle your spit and label it as "Scott Spit wetting agent for Chinese White" :biggrin:

arnaud

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks arnaud, a very good tutorial. shows the youngsters the value of drawiing skills and esp drawing direct on the part. and as sam mentioned, the ability to change on the spot.

Latest posts

Sponsors