Hurricane Sandy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
We're sorry that our friends in the northeast have to deal with this nasty storm. From what I'm reading it's going to be a bad one. Please be safe!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We boarded up the beach house in Delaware on Friday. Delaware gov then declared mandatory evac of all Delaware beaches. They have been changing things very much, saying center to pass anywhere from 10 miles away to up in New Jersey. Hope for the best

This is not the first time for us. We have boards already cut and numbered so it's just a matter of pulling them out and screwing them in place.

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We always had plywood boards cut to the window size. They had barrel latches that we would lock into the window frames. We found board up the entire house in less than 30 minutes.

Living on Galveston Island caused us to get creative with hurricane protection.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I feel very blessed to not live on the east coast and have to face these big storms. Out here in Ca., we only get fires and earthquakes, which have no warning, and come and go quite quickly! I like not knowing what's coming!

Last edited:

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was out in Ohio for the gun show and just got back about an hour ago after driving across PA in the rain. Whew! Expecting the eye after dark... We're betting on when the power will go out. May be a couple of days before it's back up.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, and other East Coast colleagues,

You are in our thoughts, and we wish you well. Just got a call from a Mendocino pal who chose to fly home to NY and right into this.
I was listening to British radio BBC which is all over this event, one major worry is denial by people on the street that it is being over-hyped, but authorities are imploring the public to recognize it is huge. My pal, Lenny, said just now that it was 80 mph and the neighbor's tree just came down and cut the power, and the worst will hit this evening, so y'all be prudent. Most of all, ration your mobile phone battery life, if power fails it could be a long time coming back online.

We are thinking of you...

Rod

Hora

Elite Cafe Member

It is all over the news here in The Netherlands. We followthe events as they unfold. I hope against all odds that everybody will survive thisordeal without any harm done.
Please be safe.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The rain is pounding us now I'm north of Pittsburgh. About an hour and half south of me are suppose to get 12 to 14" maybe even 20" in spots of snow. Winds are picking up but they say they should only be about 30mph with 60mph gusts.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Heavy rain and wind here in Manassas Virginia I had my tree trimed last week just in time,still have power.Stay save. J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
knock on wood- i'm sw of pittsburgh, pa. at this time the worst was supposed to be winding down. there's been a steady rain all day, but nothing as predicted. our peak gusts hit maybe 35 mph. th e water keeps on as a looming problem for tomorrow.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On the morning news here in Kansas City, MO they showed the area radar. The outermost clouds from Sandy - with its center still in New York state - are over St. Louis, MO on the East side of the state.

So basically, if you're East of the Mississippi river you're within the storm. :eek:

Hope everyone comes out ok.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The eye passed over us on Monday night and we lost electricity. It was very scary and it never seems to come when it is light outside. I was upstairs checking that the roof wasn't leaking when a large gust came by. I could hear it start to put pressure on the lead wall and then the entire upstairs floor vibrated like it has never done before. I can see now how houses get blown apart due to the vibrations. Fortunately that only happened intermittently during the large gusts. It is Wednesday morning and we are still sheltering in place. We are without power and will be until? PECO says now maybe we will have power this weekend, but maybe not. Large trees came down at both my neighbor's houses, but fortunately they fell all between the houses and on fences and not on any houses.

It's going to be a long week, but thank God we made it through. The people on the NJ coast had it worse than us. I received a text from my brother in NJ that they are alive and OK, but there has been no communication or transportation that way since the storm.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira; Glad to hear you weathered the storm, your side of PA got hit pretty good. The mountains seemed to break it up by the time it got to us. Good luck.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tira and Mike: Glad to know you're safe and dry. We've been following this insane storm on the news. Hopefully it'll dissipate soon and no longer be a threat to anyone.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, glad to hear you are ok. BTW, after living through several, it doesn't matter much if they hit during the day or night. When they are over you it's pitch black. Daytime eyes are pretty eerie though.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We got very lucky. Our house had no damage. Unfortunately the houses and buildings on the bayside were totally crushed. Lots of flooding and damage from debris floating in the water and such.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Just when I thought the worst had passed .............. Chris showed he has a heart! lol, watch out Tira look at the small print ..... equates to 65x. I suppose he doesn't need it since he's probably shoveling a lot of snow and hasn't felt the cold.
Glad everyone is safe. I'm on the edge of the snow that hit WV. I hear tell of 3' of the lovely white stuff not far from here but only rain and wind on this side of the mountain.
Mark

Sponsors