Huge silver charm, molested on both sides

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Ivan, nice work on that pendant. I like what you've done!

Shooting a highly polished surface can be quite difficult without a lightbox. Basically you're photographing a mirror, so what you are trying to do is reflect a white surface back into the camera's lens. That's why its been suggested to shoot outside on an overcast day; you are photographing the refection of white clouds. Once this principle is understood, any white surface will do.

These shots were taken in my kitchen. If you don't have a white sink try a paper tent as suggested above. I'll bet even a white mop bucket would do the trick. Take your time and take a whole bunch of shots. The law of odds will guarantee that a few will come out nicely. I hope this helps.

Thank You, James for the generous words. The clearness and crisp lines of your engraving are outstanding. Seems like precision in delivery and effectivness in picture taking are the two attributes where I have to accept my handicap or do something about that... Your job, your pictures and your message are inspirations to me.

Greetings - Ivan

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member

Hello T.,

Thank You for the worthy info on the peace symbol. I knew it from the early sixties. (I imagined that it was depicting a ballistic missile, erected to be launched.) It was also used as an anti militaristic logo in Germany, and later carried the message of opposing the Vietnam war, for whatever reasons. (Pacifism, anti-Americanism, patriotism against the nonsupportive politics to achieve American victory, etc. Reading, that the image is a simplified version of two letters from the UK Navy flag code is surprising and enlightening at the same time.

Greetings - Ivan

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Great project Ivan, the piece brought memories from the sixties. Thanks everyone for adding the tips to photography, I am tackling the same problems. Dave

Thank You, Dave. Yes, those sixties... I have to realize that I've got too many memories and too few projects on my mind lately.

Greetings - Ivan

Jackson

On the subject of photos I have included a couple of a hair piece. First one is outside the second is taken in the bathtub. The outside shot shows sunlight reflecting in the cuts, but because of the extreme bend in the piece you can see from one horizon to the other. The second one was shot in a white bathtub with the white walls and ceiling above reflecting a solid white background and the sun in the skylight reflecting in the cuts. I take alot of photos of everything I do and the tub is quickly becoming my studio of choice.
The charm looks great but I would have to say the back side looks the best. Nice flowers and leaves.
jackson

Attachments

• 102_6298.JPG
    102_6298.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 102_6301.JPG
    102_6301.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 26

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The piece sign with LSD on it is pretty funny stuff. Who was the guy that said "Turn on, Tune in, and Drop Out."? A beautiful piece of work and I am glad you showed it too us. This has been a good post because I also learned plenty about taking pictures, and I want to thank everyone for that. Also, a great hair piece. Thanks, Seth

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jackson, thanks for your kind words on my job. Using the bathtub for photo box seems like a great idea. Your hair pins look exquisite, another classy accessory that most engravers would never think of...

Greetings - Ivan

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
The piece sign with LSD on it is pretty funny stuff. Who was the guy that said "Turn on, Tune in, and Drop Out."? A beautiful piece of work and I am glad you showed it too us. This has been a good post because I also learned plenty about taking pictures, and I want to thank everyone for that. Also, a great hair piece. Thanks, Seth

Hi Seth,

Thank You for your kind words of evaluating my work. You have just recharged my self confidence which is on short supply during these hard times...

Greetings - Ivan