Help, please: HP Printer Ink help, please. (UK)

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

I'm currently looking into using Tom White's transfer solution together with his transparency sheets.
I understand that I'll be able to use my HP injet printer for this.
The only problem is, I don't know which ink to use.
The printers I currently have are...
HP Deskjet F4500 - taking 300XL cartridges (uk)
HP Photosmart 2610 - taking 339 or 338 cartridges. (uk)

I keep seeing the number 56 banded about, but I don't know if it will fit(?)
Also, am I correct in thinking they need to be genuine HP inks?

I have a feeling that the UK have different ink numbers than in the US?!
Does anyone know of a comparison for these inks, that will fit either of my printers.

I have asked Tom, but he suggests 'trial and error'. A £30-£40 a pop, that could be a few pretty expensive errors.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo, I keep track for myself based on the reports that come up on the forum what people have reported to work. I can not claim that I have tried these myself, but HP inks that have worked for others in the past and have been reported to me one way or another include: #27, #56, #92. The important thing to look for in the US is the type of ink being Vivera (for HP) or Dura Brite (for Epson). These have a different composition than the other inks used by each company and they seem to be the most compatible with the transparency/Tom White solution.

Doing a quick search on the UK HP site it says that the 338 and 339 cartridges are both the Vivera inks. The 300XL is not a Vivera ink. I would start with those.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Jo
I gave up on the inkjet and went over to a laser printer £39.00 new of ebay UK
Just clean surface with acetone put image face down and rubber back with acetone on a piece of toilet roll and peel paper away just make sure paper is still wet when peeling if it dries to much it sticks if so a little more wetting and peel attached photo is done this way
regards
ray

[/IMG]

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Jo
sorry the photo has not come up I dont know if I did something wrong.
I have uploaded it to rays bits in the photo gallery on engraverstudio (chris's sit sorry sam )
ray

Tundrwd

As Tira said, you are going to be more worried about ink composition, rather than a cartridge number. The cartridge. Umber designates a cartridge form factor, so it fits specific printers. Ink will generally "be the same" across many cartridges - the trick is in finding what the composition/type is. Tira points out that at least one of your printers will apparently use the same ink as a 56 cartridge.

And, as ray points out, there are some very inexpensive laser punters these days - Brother, Oki, etc. even some relatively inexpensive HP lasers. These days, HP doesn't have quite the same robustness they had across their printer line as they did years ago. You'll need to spend mor £££ (in your case) to get a printer that's a "tank".

However, the less expensive Brother lasers seem to do rather well (I'm in a software/VAR company, and we'be tested a few less expensive Brother laserjets, and while not spot-on compatible with an HP, I don't think the issues would be anything you'd care about at all).

And, with a laser, you can get those refilled cartridges (toner is toner), while you won't probably have as much success with inkjet refills. So, a low end laser may actually "pay" for itself in a relatively short time, when comparing the cost of inkjet refills.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just a note....Vivera inks are not all the same, they work with my HP F4272 but not with my HP C7280.

Phil

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Jo;

I use a HP Photosmart 309A color copier/printer with HP Premium Inkjet Transparencies (from e-Bay) with Tom White's Transfer Magic with excellent results. I use the standard HP 564 Inkjet cartridge. I bought 100 sheets of this HP Premium Inkjet film for about US$50.00

I get excellent clear images.

When I make a transparency for transfering I set the Printer Properties (Advanced tab) to lowest overspray. most heavy ink, shortest drying time and if I need it, mirror image. I also set the Printer Properties color tab to: gray/black

In my case getting the proper amount of Transfer Magic solution on the plate is important. I found putting a bit more of the solution than the instructions indicate is better for me.

Also excessive burnishing of the transparency film while transfering the image should be minded. I now use the rounded back end of my GRS chasing hammer handle to burnish the film instead of a steel burnisher. I have the back end of the hammer handle sanded with 600 grit and it is quite smooth. Too much burnishing with a steel burnisher will leave the transfered image poorly attached.

I think that the HP Premium Inkjet Transparency is the key to my success--although I do not know.

My printer also works with plain Damar varnish quite well.

I am a learner engraver using hammer/chisel when I took a photo of a image transfer and I am going to try to attach that photo which shows the quality of the transfer as per above with plain Damar varnish engraving transfer with Damar Varnish.jpg . I attach this photo even though my hammering and chiseling is quite poor.

I now have a Lindsay Classic Airgraver and I hope to be able to do better.

Best Regards;
Steve

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I verify what Phil said all vivera ink is not the same. I have an epson and a HP printed. I buy my ink from HP. It is as cheap as costco or anybody else and the shipping is free. Don't use refills because you have no idea what is in them. I had trouble with them in the past. I use pictorio film and it always works great. The film must be kept in the package and kept sealed because the chemical on the surface has as shelf life when exposed and if it gets old will no longer work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
:biggrin:# 92 black in my hp. turn off the color-- print black only. i fiddle with all manner of transfer juices, but have found that the transfer works well with no "juice" at all. works with 3m brand transparency sheets. it helps to first lay down a white background coat. easier to see the black lines. :biggrin:

nickgraver

Artemiss, i went through the trail and error thing with Tom white's solution - it was an exercise in futility and exasperation for me. I must've tried every single setting on my printer and a myriad of different sheets (Tom's sheets didn't work for me at all) but i couldn't get a good transfer.
I came to the realisation that it wasn't the printer settings, transfer sheet or Tom's solutions which was to blame, it was the actual printer itself. It just didn't want to give me good transfers...

In the end, i went to Amazon.co.uk and bought a cheap printer as a last resort to try with the solution. I bought the cheapest printer they had at £20 (HP 1000 Deskjet, it came with a 301 cartridge) and to my total amazement and utter joy, i got beautiful, sharp transfers first time! I was so happy that i went ahead and bought another HP 1000 and several cartridges (in case they discontinued them). It was as if i found the holy grail.
I also discovered that i get beautiful transfers with Pictorico transparencies which are hard to find in the UK but readily available on ebay. Let me know if you want to try the pictorico and i'll send you a sample....

In my humble opinion, if you've tried every setting on your printer and still can't get a decent transfer, don't torture yourself any longer, and don't spend any more on "trial and error" cartridges - buy the cheap HP 1000 and a good stock of 301 carts which work 100% and which you'll use only for your transfers (so you'll never run out of ink). And keep your everyday printer for your regular printing needs...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hewlett-Pac...YYG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320619458&sr=8-1

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

Apologies for my late response. I've been working away, and only returned home last night.

A huge thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

Nickgraver, thank you so much. It sounds like you've been through exactly the same as what I'm experiencing.
I did think if worse comes to worse I'd buy another printer, and do exactly as you describe, in keeping it for transfers ONLY!

Amazon, here I come! ;)

Thanks again to all,

Jo

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I've been sent a few pics from Nick, who'd like me to post them onto this thread, in an effort to help others in a similar situation. By Nicks own admission, the pics aren't fantastic, but you can get an idea.

Kind regards,

Jo

Last edited:

nickgraver

Thanks for posting the pics Jo.
They are not very good photos but i hope they show how well the transfers came out.
The transfers are not perfect but they're much better than what i was getting with the damar method and my other printer.

nickgraver

Thanks Jo (i'll figure out how to post pics one day :beatup:)

i've just re-read my origninal post and it comes across as a little bit preachy. In no way am i suggesting that my way is better than the Damar Varnish method or any other method. I tried the Damar varnish and parchment transfer and it didn't work for me but I cannot claim it to be a bad method. It just didn't work for me. Sorry for any confusion...

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Not preachy in the slightest Nick.
I think you've possibly saved me a stuff load of frustration, so huge thanks for chippin' in and making your suggestion.

Jo

Sent using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Sponsors