How'd you get started and interested in engraving?

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I am sure this is a repeat thread, I just didn't come up with anything in the search. (Yes, I utilize the search :caution:).

I think it would be interesting to know how you all got into engraving. Family practice? For fun? Ars gratis artis?

For example, I have been doing leather work for a couple years, and wanted to start making buckles and conches to accompany my work. (Still buying up tools to get started).

Happy Holidays!

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay, I'll get this started. I know this has been covered somewhere before, and probably SEVERAL years ago, but there are a lot of new members on the forum, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad to re-address it.

I started in the early to mid eighties completely by accident. I was a construction electrician/welder on a nuclear power plant and started "doodling" on tools and such in my downtime waiting for QC inspection of my welds. Being bored and not allowed to wander, I started polishing lineman's sidecutters and inscribing designs on them with my pneumatic engraver, which was used to identify my particular welds. The sidecutters polished like chrome and the inscribed designs really showed up! Others, foremen included, took notice and the next thing I knew, I had a slew of tools to embellish. Kind of like job security, if you know what I mean. Well, from there I started doing Buck knives, particularly the Buck 110, and my interest really piqued when I saw my first engraved firearm. A coworker had a collection of engraved Colt SAA's and showed them to me, allowing me to take pictures for study. It was then I realized just how crude I was and inspired me to learn as much as I could. I got the engraving kit offered by Rio Grande, which included a few gravers, a hammer and Meek's book. I started to learn how to engrave and immediately became very frustrated, but not discouraged. I had a long way to go learning to sharpen my tools. At that time there were very few engravers in my area, and the one that was near me, an old German engraver at a jewelry store in Palm Beach, refused to talk to me, declaring "...you will take my customers!" I kept at it though, finally taking a correspondence course with Robert Maki, whose name I got from an ad in an NRA magazine. Did what I could with him until I finally decided I needed personal instruction to get past my barrier. At that time I had purchased an NgraveR from Ray Phillips (still have it) and was using it until I put everything aside until I retired in 2003. Upon research into engraving again, I discovered the amazing world of the internet and the great engravers willing to share their knowledge and expertise. I took a course at GRS with Rex Petersen and learned more in that one week than the previous twenty years. Thanks Rex! I have been scratching ever since, continually learning and being humbled daily, not only by the incredible talent here, but also by the very medium we work in. It is a challenge I relish and despise at the same time, because I'm not where I want to be and realize it is a lifelong commitment and challenge to be considered a quality engraver (notice I didn't say Master). Yes, I'm proud of my work, and others are willing to pay for it, but I'm hard on myself and my drive is to be one of the best. As always, aim high and you will never fail to be good. I progressed to pneumatic tools, first the GRS tools and later Lindsay's and have been learning more daily. To the new people, you can do as good a work as you're capable of with minimal tools, just a hammer, a few gravers (learn to sharpen them properly) and something to hold your work steady. Assisted tools, whether air or mechanical, will shorten the learning curve, but my advice is to invest in personal instruction before buying your first tool. Any way, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!!

Bill

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member
I'm a newbie but I have always oogled over the knives my dad made and in 1995 me an dad sat down an made my first knife together and a friend of his did two animal engravings on it. My dad has freakish talent when it comes to crafts that maybe one day I will work up to. Anyhow my in laws own a jewelry store an after chatting with them an told them I was interested in giving engraving a try he gave my a gravermeister,visor, 4gravers, and a vice an said have at it :)

Few months back I took a 5 day class from Sam an I still can't believe I engraved what I did when I left there ! I was all smiles! I have my fingers crossed for equipment upgrades from Santa this year.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have always been interested in guns, and was casting about for a new career after becoming sick and tired of being around the sick and tired, so I first became a gunsmith, and then saw an ad for GRS gravermeister/classes. I contacted them and took several classes over then next few years, and here I am.

Andrew Biggs

I blame James Meeks. :)

I brought his book at an auction. Read it from cover to cover, got hooked, said to myself "I can do that".....so I did.

That's the Readers Digest condenced version and there's a whole lot more to it than that . :)

The very best thing I ever did was join FEGA and travel to the show in Reno all those years ago. And I'm still attending them. FEGA members provided an inspiration that you just cannot get from books and forums. If you really want to up your game, go to the show, meet fellow engravers, ask questions and look at the engraving work. If that doesn't get your juices flowing, nothing will.

Cheers
Andrew

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
It's great hearing these histories. I fin it very interesting how many have very different starts.

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Here is the long version so sit back and here goes. My family where all big hunters and target shooters, and passed that along to me. I started collecting firearms before I was out of high school mainly being rifles.

I purchased a L. C. Smith sxs from my Uncle and decided to restock it and refinish the metal. This became my first project. In the next few years I restocked finished and checkered many other projects.

My father had two Remington D grade 11/48 trap guns that he had shot for trap and I always admired the engraving on them. So one day I thought I would have one of my rifles engraved.

I write two letters one went to Winston Churchill and the other went to Angelo Bee. Winston write my back saying he had a 3 year waiting list and his prices started at 20,000.00 and up and that it would be museum quality when finished. Angelo bee's letter said that he also had a 3 year wait and price would depend on the degree of coverage and inlays. So needless to say I didn't send them my rifle.

Some time had passed and my dad showed me a man that was offering a course on Hand engraving. His last name was Maki, and what he would do is record lessons on dvd and supply you with hammer and chisels and a bowling ball vise. He also supplied you with practice plates that you would cut as instructed on the dvd' s. When your chisels would get dull you could send them back to him and he would sharpen them and return them to you. He would also critque you cutting on the plates, which I would send back to him. I never finished all the tapes and just went off on my own , but that was the start of my engraving and have always been thankful that my farther showed me that course and encouraged me to take it.

Both my parents are gone now but whenever I am engraving and finish a project I feel me dad is looking over my shoulder giving me a thumbs up as he did so many times.

Thanks dad for being my greatest fan.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did silver/turquoise/coral work for the Res trade. Also made arrowheads for the tourists. After draft obligation filled the Mexican silver made it impossible to earn much at silver. Looked for ways to make my silverwork more than what was coming up across the border. Been at it off and on since. Lots of side trips into other career paths but have always had a bench setup somewhere. Now retired (forced health related) so branching out into other aspects of the trade. Need the money after MCI lost my pension funds. Fred

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Lots of side trips into other career paths but have always had a bench setup somewhere.

Yep, me too. I was just thinking of this the other day. I had a wife and two small boys and we were living in an apartment. I converted a closet into a jewelry/lapidary shop. I always had a place to work. Be it a bedroom, basement, corner of a garage using an old door for a work bench... been there, done that. I even used to write for Rock & Gem magazine out of the same sort of setup. (I even wrote on my old Smith-Corona typewriter!) I couldn't afford the tools I wanted so I made them myself and, bought a few here and there. And, they served me well for many years. I started out with two pairs of needle nose pliers, some wire and a jar full of beads making earrings for head shops. If you have the passion, you just have to do it. And, you can make a few bucks along the way. :)

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The following is the bio from my website. It's long and I am not the least bit offended if everyone skips it.

This is the obligatory short bio that may be of interest to no one. However, I am flattered if you are still with me to this point.
On a cold winter day in 1997, my neighbors (fellow farmers) wandered in and asked whether I would embellish some knives they were making. And so it began. I was clueless, but intrigued. Art had always been a hobby and a dream, but the rigors of farming didn't leave much time.
I learned of an engraver in a nearby town and dropped in to visit. Daniel Paul used a hammer and burin. He wasn't much for talking, but he let me watch. Then I would go home and try to copy what I thought he was doing.
My first tools were less than crude. I made a hammer from a chunk of steel I found in the farm bone pile and thinned down a broken hammer handle, which I proceeded to insert in the designer hammer head. It was ugly and not even close to what I now know to be the correct type of hammer. My hand piece was a large carriage bolt that I welded to a small pin vise. A carriage bolt is a little tough on the hands, so I pushed a piece of heavy industrial hose over the threads. In the beginning this also doubled as my burin. It was a case of being too dumb to know where to purchase proper tools and too broke to buy them if I had known where they could be bought.
The only thing I purchased was a box of cobalt blanks. A bag of rice that my wife made for me became my first vise. I would embed the steel in the bag and whack away, constantly repositioning. Later, I purchased a small jeweler's ball vise. It made a big difference. I stayed with these tools until I did my first paying gun job, at which time I purchased some GRS equipment and used the first paycheck to help pay for it.
When a person is a full-time farmer, time is limited. I did a lot of engraving in the middle of the night and early morning, a practice that continues to this day.
My first mentor passed away before I engraved my first gun. It left me on my own to figure out the mysteries of engraving. About this time I learned of a group named Firearms Engravers Guild of America (FEGA). This group became my second mentor. I told my wife I was going to attend their annual exhibition. Fortunately for this farmer, it was held in January, my slower season. It was my intent to spend all three days at the show and decide whether to continue engraving or give it up. I could not afford the time or money on something that held no promise. Fifteen minutes into the show my decision was made and I have never looked back. I really felt that I could learn the art and do something with it. That was the first part of the decision. The clincher was probably the feeling of goodwill and camaraderie of the guild members. They made me, a nobody who had never engraved a gun, feel welcome and accepted. Many of my most cherished relationships are with members of the guild.
In 2002, I started teaching a couple of classes a year for Glendo/GRS − a scary thing, considering I had never had a class myself. Since then it has been my privilege to attend Grand Master courses with Ron Smith, Winston Churchill, Ken Hunt, and Martin Strolz. Now, I also do private instruction at home.
At this point, I will mention again the kindness and wisdom of FEGA members who continue to impart their knowledge and help me grow and progress.
As a teacher, I find that I learn from my students in every class. There are a lot of smart people out there.
As a full time engraver, I have found that many of my clients become good friends. There are a lot of good people out there.
Engraving has blessed my life. In 2007, the family farm was sold and my dream of full time engraving became reality. I figured if a fellow was going to be poor, he might as well be doing something he enjoys. Engraving is a great way to make a living and a terrible way to make money.
My thanks to those who persevered to keep The Art alive and pass it on to myself and others. It is because of the clients, patrons, collectors, and generosity of fellow engravers in sharing their knowledge with me that I am able to pursue this dream full-time. Otherwise I would still be standing in a wheat field or chasing a cow. ~ Lee R. Griffiths ~ 20 April 2011

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I read your entire bio, Lee, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thanks for posting it. I agree that FEGA members are great folks with lots to share with others, and they willingly do so. You may learn from your students, but I've learned from you and some others who contribute to this forum. Thanks to all. You know who you are. ( for those who read this and think, "could he mean me?", If you think it is possible that I am talking about you, I am.)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I misunderstood the post, saw an engraved glock on YouTube, asked the price for the work, was quoted at 3, 800 bucks! Said to myself I can do it, well about 4 g's later (equipment, books, and extras) I start to think I should have paid the guy..hahah

Just kidding, I made the right choice

I love this stuff, bring it on!

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
started ding initials on 'SPOON RINGS" at flea markets. 50 CENtS A LETTER. NO REAL INTEREST TILL AN ARTICLE IN THE" AMERICAN rifle" magazine, "how to engrave your own gun". i think it was all of 2 pages long. i developed an insane desire to learn how to do this myself. things just didn't "WORK" TILL THE MEEKS BOOK CAME OUT. THIS BOOK WAS RESPONSIBLE for my serious learning at that point. back then, thanks to gun magazines i was able to contact a few engravers by phone. they all gave generously of their time to answer questions. what a shame this forum wasn't even thought of in that day !!

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I started building custom Muzzle loading rifles in the early 70's as my knowledge of what a accurate build of an early American firearm should look like I noticed that many of the rifles that I loved had engraving on them. So I started trying to figure out how to add this to my builds. Meeks book was my first intro to engraving and I struggeled with HC and trying to learn how to sharpen a graver for several years. Just when I was about to give up because I could not seem to sharpen a graver to cut a decent line I decided to sign up for the GRS beginners class.

Man what a difference that made. I went from really struggling to cut a straight a line to cutting a straight line that actually looked half way decent. I learned more about sharpening a square graver the first day than I had in 3 years with Meeks book. Now I am not saying that Meeks book is not a good book, it's just that I just couldn't seem to grasp what I was supposed to do. This GRS class let me know that not only could I do it but that engraving could be fun. I took that class in 2007 and I took another class in 2009 from our favorite wheat farmer who works out of his garage. I have also taken a few lessons from our fealess leader. I truely have enjoyed engraving since taking the classes and my engraving has improved considerably.

I am still in the hobby stage on my engraving although I have done a few jobs for pay. I will be going full time into gunsmithing, restoration and engraving in June of 2014. My currant goal is to have a 1911 done by January of 2015 to display at the FEGA show. I pray the good Lord will take care of me in my health so I can make it.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Andrew is right it's all Meeks fault when I received his book in 73 I was hooked could'nt put the book down.James B.Meek was a real gentleman.I could call him and he would always talk to me.We also write together,it's because of Meek that we are here today on two forums exchanging ideas. J.J.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Jim Morrison said he ate more chicken than any engraver he knew of. He must have been good as he died young, I don't believe it was from the consumption of an overabundance of chicken though, perhaps he just slipped on through to the other side. Aside from his odd eating habits I'm sure he would have made a inspiring engraver, I wonder if he would come to it through poetry.

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors