How to get started with engraving

Cameronseiger

Hey everyone, my name is Cameron Seiger I recently just graduated from gunsmithing school and will be soon turning 20. I’m extremely interested in learning how to engrave. I’m just not sure where to start… I don’t want to put out thousands for a pneumatic setup. I’m not to worried about how long it will take to learn hammer and chisel. What is a cost effective way to get started. Any info on this would be great! Thank you guys in advance.

Cameronseiger

Good evening Cameron, glad to see the interest for engraving on top of the smithing. Hammer and chisel will be good for harder metals if you don’t want to invest in a pneumatic system quite yet. The top two companies I know for hammer and chisel are grs and Lindsay engraving, but the question of time versus money can all depend on what you see yourself doing with the efforts and very much a personal choice.

This link is for the very first inquiry and is just the tip of the iceberg with the engraving itch.
Grs sells a kit for hammer and chisel from Sam Alfano who runs this site and also the Facebook forum the engraving bench. ($450)

If I could start over I’d focus on preparing and repeating good sharpening habits with one geometry, as it took me longer than necessary to jumpstart. Best of luck in your initial jump, I’m sure you will find a soft landing with your skills already learned in gunsmithing school.
-Matthew
Thank you!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Montgomery Jr. College up in the Carolinas just to the north of you is one of the NRA Gunsmithing Schools. They hold short courses during the summer and one is usually engraving. It's fairly inexpensive.

You might have to search around a bit to find the summer courses, but here is the link to their curriculum.
The courses are usually a week long.

» NRA Gunsmithing (montgomery.edu)

Cameronseiger

Montgomery Jr. College up in the Carolinas just to the north of you is one of the NRA Gunsmithing Schools. They hold short courses during the summer and one is usually engraving. It's fairly inexpensive.

You might have to search around a bit to find the summer courses, but here is the link to their curriculum.
The courses are usually a week long.

» NRA Gunsmithing (montgomery.edu)
I appreciate the link. I’ll definitely be sure to check it out. Just not sure if I can sneak away from work for a week haha

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome Cameron, I’m pretty green and took baby steps acquiring tools with the mindset if I cant “prove myself“ with something basic then no need dive deeper. This is only from personal experience and maybe completely ridiculous but it helped me rationalize each expenditure along the journey.

I went the hand pushing route, so the first hurtle was just getting a graver sharp haha. I wont try and weigh in on how but once you’ve got one your a cheap handle and piece of copper away from “lighting a fire” :) .

After way way to long pushing I got a pneumatic setup and had already built up the muscle memory to hit the ground running and haven’t even thought of looking back.

Good Luck and have a great day. BB

Cameronseiger

Welcome Cameron, I’m pretty green and took baby steps acquiring tools with the mindset if I cant “prove myself“ with something basic then no need dive deeper. This is only from personal experience and maybe completely ridiculous but it helped me rationalize each expenditure along the journey.

I went the hand pushing route, so the first hurtle was just getting a graver sharp haha. I wont try and weigh in on how but once you’ve got one your a cheap handle and piece of copper away from “lighting a fire” :) .

After way way to long pushing I got a pneumatic setup and had already built up the muscle memory to hit the ground running and haven’t even thought of looking back.

Good Luck and have a great day. BB
I appreciate it. I think that’s what I’d like to do. Push engraving for too long until I’m confident it’s something I love. Realistically what do you think you could get a pneumatic setup for?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i enjoy welcoming newcomers. i nearly grow tired of saying this, but, just as important as your selection of cutting tools, please note that drawing/design skills are just as important as tool choice. the fancy toys allow one to work somewhat faster. poor drawing will make for many headaches, none of which can be healed with the toys.
it's very good that you are now a smith. this will allow for a much smoother intro to gun engraving. good luck to you.

Last edited:

Cameronseiger

i enjoying welcoming newcomers. i nearly grow tired of saying this, but, just as important as your selection of cutting tools, please note that drawing/design skills are just as important as tool choice. the fancy toys allow one to work somewhat faster. poor drawing will make for many headaches, none of which can be healed with the toys.
it's very good that you are now a smith. ths will allow for a much smoother intro to gun engraving. good luck to you.
Currently sitting at my coffee table practicing my drawing skills!

Jeff2t

If you are handy in the workshop you could make your own power-graver, sharpening templates, turntable etc. for under $100 as I did, a 3D printer and a mini lathe comes in handy though.

Cameronseiger

If you are handy in the workshop you could make your own power-graver, sharpening templates, turntable etc. for under $100 as I did, a 3D printer and a mini lathe comes in handy though.
Do you happen to have the plans for your power graver? I’m guessing it is pneumatic?

Latest posts

Sponsors