Help, please: How to build a decent head rest out of Junk?

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Without whining let me tell you the last year of engraving coins has been pain free simply because I quit doing it along with everything else!

My neck just won't take looking into the scope for any period of time so I need to make some kind of wizard spaceship to park my old self in which supports my head for long periods of time.

My scope boom won't handle any type of rod assembly as it bounces. So whatever the design is it will have to be something made of two by fours or other such high tech materials. I don't have a welder. Do have drills and hammers. Size doesn't matter as I have a lot of room in the basement. Currently working off a large drill press with a lindsay scope. I'm 6'4.

If any one has any good ideas, photos, plans etc. Let me see. I can't be the only one out here with a fractured and semi fused neck.

Which ever gadget works best - submitter will get a nice classic hobo nickel carved on a high grade full horn 36. I don't expect to be labeled as a beggar !

Drop me a line at coincutter at g mail dot com.I'll be watching the feed back if any.

Thanks in advance.
SLE

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
post is relatively solid clamped to big steel bench
weighted down with safe!
it's just too articulated i think

ill have to take a pic and post it
the vibration is not as much of an issue as is the broken neck syndrome.

never get too close to incoming 105's;)

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I may have an answer for you, it will only work with small objects but it allows you to lean back with your head supported. It uses a steel turntable tilting as far as you require and a magnetic work holder. Works great with a scope and it would be simple to design a mount for a Nickel holder. This is the easy way to make one.

I think it will work for you, it does the job for me, if I can help in any way let me know.

Bob

PS In case you don't recognize it, it is made from the mounting base for a satellite TV dish.

Last edited:

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
My rig uses a drill press base. Turntable is tilted about 12 degrees for more comfort. 2 flat stock bars are bolted inside the press column, 1 for the scope mount and 1 for the headrest. The shop made vise is light weight and mounted on a 6" pvc end cap. I table sawed the whole thing (I don't have any machine tools except a drill press)so I could mount a crossbar hold down that is spring loaded but can be released by a small air cylinder, thus I can move my work under the scope about 4" the long way and 2" the other with a thin teflon sheet stuck under it to help it slide.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
I may have an answer for you, it will only work with small objects but it allows you to lean back with your head supported. It uses a steel turntable tilting as far as you require and a magnetic work holder. Works great with a scope and it would be simple to design a mount for a Nickel holder. This is the easy way to make one.

I think it will work for you, it does the job for me, if I can help in any way let me know.

Bob

PS In case you don't recognize it, it is made from the mounting base for a satellite TV dish.

i jerked the sat dish off the house to play with

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
steve-- nice to hear you're still in the bizz. sent you an email or 2, maybe you didn't get them. heres a few pics that i robbed from a forum post quite some time ago. don't know if this will help, but at least the lambs' wool idea might.
also, just a thought- i never ended up doin this but i had played with the notion of some sort of chin rest suspended from the ceiling. had i done this, it woulld have had a feature that allowed it to swing out of the way when not in use. i had figured to use wood or common plumbers pipe.

Attachments

• rest3.jpg
    rest3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 202
  • rest1.jpg
    rest1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 201
  • rest.jpg
    rest.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 201
  • rest2.jpg
    rest2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 202
  • rest4.jpg
    rest4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
steve-- nice to hear you're still in the bizz. sent you an email or 2, maybe you didn't get them. heres a few pics that i robbed from a forum post quite some time ago. don't know if this will help, but at least the lambs' wool idea might.
also, just a thought- i never ended up doin this but i had played with the notion of some sort of chin rest suspended from the ceiling. had i done this, it woulld have had a feature that allowed it to swing out of the way when not in use. i had figured to use wood or common plumbers pipe.

that sounds like fun, just fall asleep at the scope!

changed internet providers so things have been a bit screwed up for some time

what are you cutting now? lazer?

monk

Staff member
gotta rely on my hi tech stuff for the time being, steve. body tremor aint much better. exophoria (" eye muscle twitches")now drives me nuts at the scope. i still do hand engraving, but whatever it is, fine detailing is now out of the question for me. early on i used to get nasty neck and back aches. it sounds stupid, but for a year or more, i cobbled up a chair that leaned back several degrees-- maybe 15 or so. was very awkward at first, but the aches went away. there was a padded support in the rear to rest the back of my head on. after maybe a year & a half, was able to go back to normal seating.
after a more careful reading of your post, i think a ceiling mounted affair would serve you better, as it would be independent of your scope boom. a 2x4 "plate" attached to your ceiling, then a 2x4 assembly attached by a hinge to the plate might work. done working, the hinge would allow it to be swung outta the way. good luck with this, steve.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
well the roof is on and the house is almost painted - hopefully it will pass inspection
now i have to finish cleaning up the flood mess - in the basement
my workshop stinks
fortunately all the tools were above the water line
what a mess water causes

still haven't locked into a scope design
may have to just break down and trade something very expensive and hard to get for a better scope

joy oh joy

monk

Staff member
yow ! had no idea you have suffered such a hit. must be a "female dog" to deal with all that. good luck to you and your wife to get thru this. i have no idea how i'd handle such a disaster. i know i'd need a few beers just to just to settle my nerves.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
The winner is rod cameron - got the head rest on and working - necks better but like you the back aches are fierce - old lady has to play chiro so now on to fix that issue. guess i never should have gotten old

it was a simple fix - but i think i need a better or different scope or a new spine