How the potato saved my GRAVER

Douglas

A few weeks back I asked if C-Max gravers have a life.
Well I was given some good advice, but one intrigued me, from Lee Griffith and the use of a potato.
Lee
Drawing from my experience as an Idaho potato farmer, I will let you in on one of the little known secrets regarding tool life, especially carbide. Giving it a rest, It works much better if you stick it in a potato for a week or so. It has something to do with the acids reacting with the metal and allowing the molecules to realign.
Well that is exactly what I did, and it worked. I have used that graver for a week now and it has not chipped off since.
Thanks all of you for your great advice.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Potatoes have strange powers, look what they did for McDonalds. Who cares about those little burgers, they had the best fries back in the day :biggrin:, fried in beef tallow :shock:, hummm hummm deadly :(.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
It is also a great way to clean old nickel you might find with a metal detector. I cleaned up an old coal black colored "shield nickel" I dug at Bedford Springs by pushing it edge wise into a potato and leaving it there for a week....
Did it really improve the taste of the potato?

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr. Potatohead slips into my shop at night to fight pirates, do my design work, and sweep the floor. The potato man and I are tight. He's also the one that told me about the secret graver molecule realignment.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Van
Here's a professional secret........if you want people to look at your engraving and say."wow, that is so sweet" you must use sweet potatoes not the run of the mill spud

Latest posts

Sponsors