Question: How long should this take?!?!?

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
Im trying to do a english/western thing. this is the inside of a set of heelbands for spurs,but its practice for a smith and wesson model 4046 im fixing to do. (hopefully engravable). My concern is that this took 4hrs, and based on that the gun would take 30 to 40 hours. I dont think the gun is worth enough to spend that much time on...... any suggestions? Also how long should this take once im fammiliar with this style?
P.S. please forgive the nasty stamps...afterall there spurs! lol

Attachments

• hybridstyle.jpg
    hybridstyle.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 342

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff, Sure looks nice for the inside of a heel band my friend. Can't help you on how long something should take. I am probably the slowest around. Neck surgeries have made me work for only short periods then give it a rest. I will pass along a couple of things I learned from Lynton McKenzie: Name and year stamps-cut varous sizes on plates (material of choice-make it easy on yourself as hardness is not an issue) in reverse. Use simple engravers transfer wax/scotch tape to quickly add to your work. Do the same with various backgrounds like lines, line english scroll and basket weave. easier than computer transfer. very quick and easy. Fred

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
English Scrolls

Griff,Looks like you have a good handle on those English scrolls,and don't worry about time engrave the S&W I bet it will look great when your done, go for it.:thumbsup:J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i dunno-- is there such a thing as a "junk gun" ? if the owner wants to spend the bucks, why not do it ? or do you own it ? if nothing else, doing it will tend to reinforce your skills.

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
thanks i went ahead and started it. In answer to your question I do own the gun. Im shure it will be good practice so here we go. I started another tread with a early picture, was wondering about hard spots. Thank yall for the push start. lol

Latest posts

Sponsors