Question: How does one dispose of rust/blue remover safely?

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I am considering de-bluing some parts and have already purchased Brownell's rust/ blue remover. I haven't been able to find any info on what to do with the solution after use. What say ye?

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Rather than go to some professional disposal service, which is too costly, as the Germans found out, here's what we used to do with our watch cleaning solutions. We got 4-5 gallons of clean, fine sawdust, per bucket, and slowly (outdoors) poured the particular solution slowly into each, just below the saturation point while mixing it up. Let the volatiles evaporate, and the stuff then becomes a 'solid' that you can put out with the weekly trash pick-up. Never had a problem. You don't want to pour it down the drains, as the local fire department might swing around the neighborhood. So far, no complaints, and the stuff winds up in the landfills--you know, the places the birds won't even fly over.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
This is a joke, right?
If you're serious, you can call the local firehouse and ask them if you can drop it off.
Me, I'd just flush it like Carlos said or pour it out on your lawn or your neighbor's.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
It is not a joke. There are many things that you could pour down your toilet that you probably shouldn't. I am looking for a way to not end up with 50 gallons of semi hazardous waste filling up my garage. I like Ron's idea about the saw dust, and I think I'll go that route. Thanks

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Before you do anything why not call tech support at Brownells and ask them what they recommend for a disposal process for their product.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I looked at the MSDS, basically it said don't put it down the sink. The reason why I don't call them is I figured there must be 300 people on this forum that use the stuff and I was looking for practical advice.

Andrew Biggs

How do you end up with 50 gallons??.............De-bluing a tank????? :)

A word of caution with this stuff as it is a very mild acid. Make sure you seal the lid properly by putting tape around it to really seal it off. If the fumes escape they will rust everything around it over a period of time...........ask me how I know this!!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I buy a few ounces at a time from Brownells. I usually run out and have to remove blueing with 555 white on a loose Muslin wheel. You need to be careful around holes and edges.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
At one time, the thought was " The solution to pollution is dilution" . Thank goodness there are people who now consider the repercussions of their actions. Keep your grand-children in mind before you dispose of potentially toxic waste. Just me 2 cents.
Cheers
Don

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Blue removers are simply mild acids -- the label will tell you which acid. You can neutralize it with soda or ammonia and dispose of it as you wish.
Yep, Arm and hammer will neutralize it, its deactivated and thats it, its a very mild acid to begin with. This what i use.

Price is right

Saludos,
Carlos

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
carlos, old pal : do you make house calls ? i have a job for you, buddy !

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd,

Yes it is, works great to remove bluing and rust, its meant to clean and be flushed.

Monk,

Plumming is charged by the hour 3 hour minimum at 35 an hour.

Saludos,
Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors