How do you tune handpieces using bias control.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
I believe I saw somewhere that Sam said it was possible to fine tune handpieces using the bias control on the Gravermach. Could Sam or someone explain the procedure please?
Thanks.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
I use the bias control when I am doing shading work. I adjusts the pedal so the the handpiece will start as soon as I move my foot. Don't like that wait time while shading. Hope this helps.

Joe

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pappy,

The bias adjustment is very similar to the way you tune the gravermach to begin with.

Turn the bias valve all the way off.
Dial in the strokes per minute that you want on the gravermach.
Hold the handpiece vertical and near your ear so you can hear what is happening inside.
Turn the air pressure down on the gravermach using the valve by hand and slowly bring the pressure up untill you hear the handpiece tapping.
Turn the air up a bit farther just until no tapping occurs.
After you have that part of the handpiece tuned you can adjust the bias valve.
With the handpiece in the same vertical position slowly open the bias valve until you can hear a slight knocking in the handpiece.
At this point it is up to you as to how sensitive you want the handpiece to be in relation to the foot control. You'll notice that in this position the handpiece will engage as soon as the foot pedal is pressed. You will have to play around with the very fine adjustments here to decide where you like the handpiece to engage. :)

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Bias Valve question

Would I be right in thinking that the bias valve is simply a bleed valve in the foot pedal airline?

Joe Paonessa

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Tira!
I was looking at your Harley part photos on your site, and they are beautiful! As I found out, it is very hard to cut large work where every part is visible without magnification. I've been doing my work under magnification, and sometime when I slip it looks terrible but when I just look at it with my eyes, it looks just fine. And you are from PA too! I don't think there are many engravers in PA.
Thanks again for the Info, and though I use Airtact, It will probably work the same way.
pappy
(Steve Papincak)

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
To Joe M.
Thanks Joe, I've been using Airtact instead of the foot control and I think it works the same as with the foot pedal.
To Joe P.
I'm really not sure of what circuit the air comes from, but it seems that you are right, because I think that if you did put a bleed valve in the control line it would work that way.
Thanks guys,
pappy

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pappy, Glad to help. Weatherly isn't too far away from me. I'm up in Stroudsburg quite a bit to see family and we almost bought land in Jim Thorpe. Then we would have been neighbors. :)

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, just noticed that your in doylestown,thats where my wife is from . we now live between blue bell and skippack. small world

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, I think your shop would have made a lot of money in Jim Thorpe. Unfortunatley, then you would have had me and a lot of Harley guys watching you work. I would be asking questions about engraving stuff and they wouldn't talk but just drool over parts.!!! Do say your name to sound like tire with a long I?
Thanks,
Pappy

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
michaelp, That's not far at all. We'll all have to get together after the holidays to have coffee or something. In the somewhat local area we have the 3 of us and there are a couple of others who may want to join us.

pappy, My name is actually derived from a man's name. It's the Russian feminine form of Terah, who was Abraham's father in Genesis. It is pronounced phonetically like "tear-a" with a short "a" sound.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,
If a bunch of engravers get together for coffee somewere either around doylestown, Jim Thorpe, Stoudsburg or even my house in just outside of Weatherly, that would be great! Then we could have a real engraver's cafe! If anybody is interested, that is. It would be great to get together and talk about engraving, art, or anything, really

Latest posts

Sponsors