How do you prepare a gun to engrave?

Dean18

I have been doing practice plates, knives, and one stainless shotgun. How do you prepare a blued revolver to engrave, and how do you handle the roll stamped text that gets in the way of the design?

MichaelBaer

Hey Dean,I bought a used O/U derringer type shooter with ugly
plastic grips and the name on the side of the barrel was something like FLYBYNITE ARMS CO.IDONWANNA,FLA.
The serial no.is and so shall remain untouched.The company name
is disappeared.Correct me if I`m wrong but,I don`t believe I`ve done wrong.If it was a name I admired I`d have gone around.
MichaelBaer

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Dean,
Another Northern Michigan engraver!
The Readers Digest version is to disassemble the gun and use a blue remover available from Brownell's Inc. or get to know your gunsmith. The rollmarks/lettering/serial numbers are another thing. DO NOT mess with serials numbers. ATF doesn't like that. As far as the makers name and things, I think that is not supposed to be messed with either but I have seen a lot of the makers name and warnings "wear off" on engraved guns........
Hope that helps.
Rex

Dean18

supposing the warning nonsense on a single six were to "wear off" would that happen because the metal was burnished in toward the writing or because the surrounding metal was worn down with say a rubber wheel?

Dean18

Rex, how would I help the wearing process along on that stupid warning printed in the barrel? Use a hammer tool on my magnum and burnish the metal over, or something like a rubber wheel to wear down the surrounding metal?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Rex & Dean, I have taken the stupid warning stamped on the barrels off.The Ruger Vaquero's are the ones I am ask to do the most. One hour of work $125.00 not bad,like Rex said do not mess with serial numbers. J.J. p.s. who wants to engrave around that warning, not me.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Most of the warnings are abou that stupid..
As far as the warning wearing off. It usually has to be worn off with sandpaper. It might help to burnish it but it still will take a little time.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want to know about metal prepping guns, get a copy of Brownell's book called Gunsmith Kinks. It will have everything you need to know.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Another great source of infomation on metal and firearm prep is the FEGA seminar video by Bob Strosin.
Bob does some outstanding engraving and preps all his metal smooth and level and that's super important.
An engraved firearm is no better than the metal finish IMO.
Best.

JJ Roberts

Dean,I like Bob Strosin video on firearms prep,because ever step is by hand polishing. Doug Trunbull also did an fine video on firearms prep,no buffing.Buffing is a No No when it comes to firearm.Buffing leaves dished out screw & pin holes,rounds sharp edges and let not forget the lettering. Be careful when working on someones pride & joy.Take your time. J.J.Roberts

MichaelBaer

Dean,I bought a new Single Six in the late 70`s when Ruger`s warning just started.I
wrote the company and said I`d pay extra for one without.They replied pretty quick and
said that they were obliged as part of a court settlement.Seems an attempted suicide failed and then the creature hired an expensive attorney and declared the gun to be unsafe
If you`ve ever seen a picture of the gentleman himself,Bill Ruger;now you know part of why the man is NOT smiling.
Take your time with mild abrasives.Two minutes with a ******* file could leave gouges
that might take days to disappear.And don`t leave valleys. michaelBaer

Dean18

Thanks for all the tips. You guys are great. I had heard the story about the law suit. Leave it to the damn lawyers to screw things up for the normal people. It seems society must cater to the worlds numb-skulls.

Andrew Biggs

Oh yeah.............another warning when you are prepping guns.

Don't accidently swallow the gun, and if you do...............do not induce vomiting but call your local doctor for medical advise!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

Warning

I would like to see Cloudy's warning on all gun's,just think how much safer we would all be. :big grin: J.J.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes,
The warnings are really stupid. I think it should say "If you are about to PUSH the trigger instead of PULLING it, you are holding the gun backwards and you may shoot yourself"

Latest posts

Sponsors