How do I find an expert to study under?

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Good evening Frank, If you’re looking for and organization “in charge” of awarding titles for engraving then your journey into this art may be fraught with disappointment for patience is not easily judged by others.
Now if you unequivocally need to sign up for a class in engraving go to GRS.com and sign up now. Hope this helps and have a great holiday weekend. BB
Montgomery Community college in SC has Metal Engraving 101 under the NRA Gunsmithing classes at the end of this month. Tuition is very reasonable and room and board can be had on campus. This is a basic course to get started. Probably the most inexpensive course you will find if you're up for a short vacation.

Metal Engraving 101
This will be an introductory course to the art of hand engraving on guns. In this course we will cover the basics of engraving with a hammer and chisel, graver angles and sharpening. We will also cover the basics of design for gun engraving. Instructor: Samantha Cherry
Metal Engraving 101 | 7/24-7/28 | MTWTHF | 9AM-6PM | $201.60 | Register | Tool List
I took this course online many years ago taught by Tom McCardle I think. he gave a solid foundation and clear instructions covering the mysteries involved with the artistic craft. I couldn’t afford a trip to Emporia so I choose this course.
be prepared to practice, I started stand up H&C with a machinist vise & hand sharpening.i still hand sharpen by choice. I learned underhand & overhand from Tom. I practiced 3/4 hrs. A day after a day of my (real) job. I’m retired now, Im still learning as I am with watercolors but thats a different story. Good luck,
Kent

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
A small correction for John B. The Engraver is a quarterly publication, not a monthly one. Wish it was monthly but it is a huge amount of work for the editor as is!
Sorry Sam, of course your are correct and thank you for catching my mistake.
Just showing my age and forgetfulness!

Latest posts

Sponsors