How do I do this job?,Engraving ,Beginner

Guido.

Hi Members
I have been on this forum before ,with questions,great help in the past
many thanks.

I have this question,re engraving collar on brass inkwell.
I have copied this original glass inkwell ,in casting resin,and made new brass collar.

I would like some tips on transferring the design onto the new collar.
what tools do I use ?do I use a hammer or just push by hand?

It may be a simple job for someone experienced
I have some gravers all plain square type.

Regards Guido. ink2.jpg ink1.jpg ink3.jpg ink4.jpg ink5.jpg ink7.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that you have to ask tells me you're not ready to actually do this---- just yet.
get yerself some brass fittings at a local junk yard. also get some flat sheet brass and copper. the curved fittings will give you insight as to how to deal with curved surfaces. most any job can be done using h&c, as well as using the push technique. practice both. you can answer that question on your own. there's lots of transfer tips in the tip section. check it out. why not just practice direct drawing ? direct drawing can save time . applying a transfer to a compound curve can be an exersize in frustration. good luck.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Guido

This is how I would transfer the design.

First I would clean the original band with acetone to make sure its clean. The take a piece of modeling clay and pat it all around the design. Then a piece of clear tape with no air bubbles or other imperfections. Wrap the tape around the brass collar and at the very end if there is an overlap, cut it off but leave a small strip to fold over itself so it would be easy to remove. With just a finger rub over the tape. When you finished rubbing the entire collar pull it off and hang it somewhere.

Then take a tissue with acetone and clean the unengraved band. You may want to give a little bit of a hand polish before the acetone so the transfer shows up clearer. When the acetone dries take the strip of tape and carefully lay it on the new band and with a finger rand rub it all over. Pull of the tape and you should have a duplicate of the engraved band. Carefully scribe it in and if you have the patience try and scribe the whole cut including the width of the cut. Now, like Monk recommends get a piece of brass and practice the cuts. You'll need practice making the cuts, especially since you would be cutting over the lid's overhang.

For this kind of piece I would use a flat tool no wider than the widest cut. This should help you avoid making too wide a cut which is possible from leaning over too far with the normal script engraving tool. For the thinner cuts a normal script too.

It may take you a few tries to get the hang of it but each time you should get a better idea of how to do this. I use this method all the time with transferring letters on cufflinks, flatware, baby cups. I l use Sam's transfer wax but on larger flat pieces since its a great method. But for pieces like this, clay and tape.

Allan

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't think the original is brass or engraved. I think it is a bronze casting from somewhere in the middle east. I've seen other items which resemble its style and texture.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
DKanger

Absolutely right. A lot of this came out of india and wasn't brass but badly casted bronze. Because of the cuts it looks like the original was engraved. I used to hate people bringing this in for additional engraving and I developed the skill of cheerfully denying any pressure of store owners or customers to get me to work on this.

Guido is going to be cutting a brass collar he made and the layout of the original can still be transferred. Not going to be easy but its better than trying to cut the original.

Guido.

Hello Members
Many thanks for all of your replies.
Sorry I have not replied earlier to your comments.

Interesting to hear from DKanger the it may be originally cast .He may be correct (although original is brass,very thin) If cast very fine casting. in my opinion does not look cast (if so finished by hand)
I have attached images of my work,A bit embarrassing to show you my very bad work,I was a bit silly to rush it and not be more patient, I also may not have used the right shaped gravers.
Holding the collar without damaging it was difficult ,the curved surface also difficult ,for a first timer.

as you can see kept slipping through during cutting, a bit silly I decided to finish with small bit on Dremmel.

collar only 15mm wide,

Has been an interesting exercise , for me to recreate completely a copy of the original glass bottle.
in a clear casting resin (making molds from the original ,for the first time,making and learning brazing of brass collar and hinge,all made by myself) and then tackling the engraving (not a very high score mark)

What it does show is how well these things from the past were made.

I feel this brass inlaid desk set (attached image) was made around 1840-60 maybe in India when under the British rule.
A company in England James Leuchars est 1794 London also made these under his wife's name Lucy leuchars after 1822 when she took over the company after his death.

Hard to know where mine was made.

I appereciate every ones help ,I should have been more patient .

Regards Guido. en2.jpg en1.jpg en3.jpg en4.jpg en5.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors