hoping for a new tuturial

nicglass1

i see people posting wonderful examples of western style engraving, but i have absolutely no idea how it is done. i have tried the good old "figure it out on my own" the way i am doing engraving as a whole right now, but still i can't even get close to ANYTHING resembling the bright cut style. i don't really even have a starting point on learning how it is done. so i humbly beg the forum to please post something that can help me out or at least give me a good place to start.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Try Diane Scalese's dvd and Jeremiah Watt's video. They are both great. And anyone who is going to learn any type of engraving should get Ron Smith's books. Good luck.
Stewart Williamson

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi nicglass1

It seems that western brightcut is an engraving style all of it's own complete with it's own terminology for the cuts and tools used to make them. Polishing to get smooth cuts is also important.

As bronc said, the Diane Scalese DVD/video is available at www.fega.com you can also purchase a resin casting for reference from FEGA as well. Both are worth having. The beauty of the castings is that you can actually see the depth of cut, angles etc and they make for really good study aids.

It just so happens that the next issue of the FEGA Engraver magazine has an excellent article written by Diane about western brightcut complete with photos. That issue should be out mid October.

GRS also have an excellent line of instructional DVD/videos that demonstrate western brightcut.

Hope this helps some

Cheers
Andrew

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
nicglass1~ Brian's tutorial is pretty good and shows the construction of a scroll and flower through the engraving process. I have never seen Diane Scalese's or Jeremiah Watt's video's or DVD's but I would imagine that would be a good place to start. However, I would think to actually have personalized lessons with an accomplished engraver would be your best bet. To have someone actually view your attempts and be able to correct a potential bad habit before it begins. To encourage you as he/she visually sees your progress in real time. It also depends if you want to learn push engraving or power assisted engraving. I believe there are nuances that can only be picked up through viewing and simultaneous real time narration for the best chance of emulating the feel along with the specific techniques of that which the engraver is trying convey. But please remember that a good foundation is laid upon drawing with pencil and paper; to have a good understanding of what you're trying to accomplish in your engraving. The other alternative is to keep forging forward and be courageous in your attempts to figure it out by applying all the individual pieces of advice that have been and are given freely on this forum.

Best regards,
Greg Pauline

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, do what i did. ms. scalise will take all the mystery out of this beautiful work. it seems way more complicated than it really is. diannes' video shows just a few ( 4 or 5 basic cuts i think) to make the entire piece come together. the trick, learn to draw well and execute the basic cuts within the drawing you have created. it does sound easy, doesn't it ? it must be easy, cause it looks easy when she does it ! so it must be.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with you. If you can see it done and see the tools in use you should be able to bright cut scrolls. I hope that I do not offend any professional engravers for what I am about to enter on this thread. If I do, I apologize right now. I was fortunate enough to watch a great engraver named Victor Vasquez at work and over time he would allow me the privilege of either helping him with his stuff or work on some of my own stuff. He never charged me a dime for this. I am forever grateful to he and his wife for all that they have done for me. He did not waste his time on people that did not want to commit 100%. I am by no means even close to Victor's talent or many other's talent in this industry, but I believe that know the basics. I am willing to offer others the same opportunity that I was afforded. Anytime anyone wants to come to my shop and watch, then go home and build on that, they are FREE to do so. (That means no charge) I would only ask you to ignore the mess, do not stop production, and do not be offended if I am rude and grouchy at times. If you are having trouble and need help, come on, watch, and ask. If you are just curious about the jewelry mfg. industry there are many other sources for you.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I was just starting out in about 1970 when Victor Vasquez had his shop in San Jose, California. He ran me off a couple times until he was sure I was serious. Afterwards I spent almost every weekend there until 1976. The few weekends when I wasn't there, I was at Francis Harrys' place.

Here's a story about Victor:

I was still learning to grind a graver properly, I think by that time I had been "learning" for a couple years. Victor would just watch me from his bench. Never said a word. I just couldn't seem to get a point that would stay sharp - even cutting sterling, which is NOT very hard. Modern day power hones didn't exist yet. I was using an oilstone and hand holding the graver, trying to "feel" for the right angles.

Finally he walked over and very carefully examined my graver under his Optivisor. After about 3 minutes of studying it he said that he had been taught that sometimes a graver just wouldn't hold an edge. When that happened you should take the graver and stick it in a raw potato overnight. Usually it would cut just fine the next day.

I wasn't quite sure that he might not have been pulling my leg a bit - but I was willing to try ANYTHING to get the damn thing to take an edge. So I went upstairs and asked his wife if I could have a raw potato. She looked at me like I was nuts or something, but got me the potato. When we knocked off Friday night, I did what he said...

When we'd had breakfast the next morning and gone down to the shop, I walked over to my bench and there was the graver stuck in the potato. But the potato had shrunk a bit and was pretty wrinkled... I showed it to Victor and he said that was "normal", but he didn't know why it happened. Pretty mysterious to me. Told me to take the graver out and try it.

I did, and it cut so sweet I almost cried. Victor was grinning at me, "I told you it would work" he said.

So for a month or so, whenever I had a graver that wouldn't stay sharp I tried that trick. It always worked.

A couple months later I was up at my own shop in Pleasanton when it happened again. But when I tried the potato trick, it wouldn't work! I called Victor and asked him why it wouldn't work for me now? After about 5 minutes of laughter and choking on his sandwich - he managed to tell me that of course it wouldn't work when I wasn't at his shop. He would go downstairs at night, sharpen my graver himself and stick it back in an uglier potato for me to find in the morning...

I found out years later that his wife Joyce was in on it!

I have continued the "tradition" to this very day with some of my students and ALL of my apprentices... (though now it won't be as easy - if they read this:))

Brian

nicglass1

yes admittedly the best thing i could possibly do is to sit down with an accomplished engraver day by day and actually LEARN how to do all this, but the sad reality is that i don't know any engravers. have never met one or seen one actually working. EVERYTHING i know of engraving has been garnered for this and steve's forum. which is odd considering i have been a bench jeweler for almost 5 years now. but anyway, yes the video's are pretty much at the top of my "things to get list".... well pretty much ALL of the video's are at the top of my to get list, but as always the good old cash flow is the main problem, it's not exactly like i can find them in the $5.99 bin at wal-mart :p

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
You should really think about taking a class. It will be the best return on investment you can make. I know it's hard to come up with the money, but factor in how much faster you will come along with good instruction. It will allow you to get were you can sell your work much quicker and start making some money at this. Good luck.
Stewart Williamson

nicglass1

hey thanks alot broder. that is a great web site, pretty much anything you want to learn to do you can rent a DVD for, from operating a lathe to picking locks. and several DVD's that look like they will help a guy like me out alot. so once again, thank you.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can confirm that taking a class at GRS should help - I'm taking one now from Marty (Fancyguns).
It's just the first day and in theory it's only covering stuff I already know but trust me - I can see the improvements already. One thing I'm seeing is that a lot of stuff I 'knew' makes more sense during / after going over it in class. It's kind of like someone telling you what a steak tastes like vs. giving you a bite.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
potatoes

gawsh, i know a guy who is dang near as dumb as i am ! he is a sheet metal man. and good at it. but now i know what i'm going to do to his scriber ! this is maybe the greatest !:D :) ;) :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Sponsors