Holding Device Made From Live Centers

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here is a holding device I designed & collaborated with a engineering & gunsmithing friend of mine
using two live centers. This device would be very useful to do pistol barrels, rings, & fountain pens.
JJ

Attachments

• holding.device2.jpg
    holding.device2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 273

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Having experience along these lines, the device pictured would work. However, there needs to be a way to adjust length between centers, and you'd want some sort of braking mechanism, designed to be long lasting and simple, that would free up your hands. You may want to opt for some sort of mechanism, grasping, that would be applied with cable and foot pressure. Years ago, I heard of an engraver that used a hydraulic mechanism that applied such action to his vise, by foot pressure, which freed up both hands. I can't see any locking mechanism in the photo relative to length adjustment, and maybe it's on the other side of the item? You may want to increase your depth, just in case an item comes in with a long bolt handle. . .doesn't hurt to have some extra room. Looks like a good idea, though.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Ron,This holding device is adjustable and you need both hands when engraving a pistol barrel,fountain pen or anything else,the locking mechanism are allen set screws. J.J.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,This holding device is adjustable and you need both hands when engraving a pistol barrel,fountain pen or anything else,the locking mechanism are allen set screws. J.J.

Nice Job! I'm not as ambitious as you are in the building department, so I'm currently having some flats ground on two sides of an old and clapped out watchmakers lathe so it will fit into a vise. The headstock has 120 holes that allot it to be locked down in almost any necessary position, and it's possible to vary the rotating tension of the headstock (if you don't care about maintaining the bearing roundness!). The tail-stock allows the swift removal of pieces and can be locked down with a lever. Theoretically I think I could tool up some holding devices for the headstock (for bracelets and such). A serious disadvantage is the length of bed but that can be easily remedied for longer work. Bob

monk

Staff member
cppl lookin gadjet, jj. i'm gessin it works as good as it looks ! thanks for showing your invention.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I have a duck call carving device that is similar, except mine has a "headstock" design that will hold various lathe chucks, and it has an indexing system for 36 indexing stations. The indexer can lock it into position or it can be free wheeling. Beside being freewheeling between centers it will also rotate 360 degrees in the vise or can be locked down.

Latest posts

Sponsors