Hobo Nickels

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Im curious, does anybody make there living doing this alone? Its fun and addictive, apparently even lucrative, but does anybody call it their proffesion. Or is it more of a hobby that pays?

Does it make a difference if the buffalo nickels are circulated or mint?

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can make much more as a gun engraver than carving nickels. There are a couple of guys who can make big bucks but I think you'll find they're few and far between. The nice bit is that if you can get a little bit of recompense for having fun then go for it! Really though, don't get it into your head that this is a quick way to make mega bucks.....I think you'll be sadly disappointed if you take this attitude.

My advice is to have fun, sell a few coins on Ebay and if you're lucky you may find someone who likes your work and would like to collect it. I for one though will not be giving up my day job!

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
A hobby that pays on occasion for me. You would really have to a larger market out there to do it for a living, unless you don't need a whole lot to get by. Two or three good buyers and a dozen minor buyers could keep you very busy for some time if you develop a following. This is just an observation, but it does seem that most skill levels can sell their work. What it comes down to is profit. Can you produce enough, stay consistant in your quality, meet expectaions and demand, develop a following of collectors, enjoy what you do, and have a little money left over at the end of the day? Personally I can answer yes to most of the above, although meeting demand can be tough at times. The old saying " don't put all your eggs in one basket " holds true. Because buyers can be hot and cold, it is best to diversify.

Shamey

I agree with all of the above. You are not going to make a living at it but there will always be someone who would love to have one of them. They make nice sell-able practice plates and they sure are fun to carve. I suggest you carve on the best coin you can find. Those that collect them like a good host coin.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
It would be tough doing nickels for a living.

They are a good source for mad money. But they are only nickels (but pricey things) and there is a ceiling so you have to balence time vs return and that is hard to figure at times.

What you might consider a killer coin may not be of interest to anyone else in the world.

It does all depend on your speed, originality and the collectors whim. It's an art form and a relatively small niche market. It does however offer you the potential to develop your skills so you can work on a lot of other items which do bring in serious money.

If you are a good sculptor people will find you for some project or another.

All you can do is practice and throw them out there to see the response.

Good luck

Sponsors