Hobo Nickel WTB Carver

kd8nv

Milan, Michigan Summer - Alamo, Texas Winter
Yes I'm another Hobo Nickel want to be carver!

I've wanted to do this for years, now I'll try and make time for it..

I've been trying to read most if not all posts in regards to the HOBO Nick..

I'm in the process of making a few hand tools, some sort of holder, I have a collection of small rotary tools bits stones ETC. Hanging flex shaft carver, small detail carver ETC, 30 odd years ago I did a fair amount of porting work on 2 stroke engines..

After carving grinding the coin it will be all bright and shiny, I believe I read you should use some sort of rubber impregnated grit polisher to smooth out the back ground, I have been to RIO GRANDE Jewelry supply and found AdvantEdgeâ„¢ Silicone Polisher, Medium, fine and course grits.

My guess is to use the course to first smooth out then Possibly Medium for the satin final finish?

Also some are mounted and pointed the others are round cylinders which appear to go on a small mandrel, the pointed ones may be better??

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't use any rotary tools, just careful cutting / scraping / shaving with flat gravers followed by the 0.5mm stones and some rubber polishing points (no power).

One way to take off the high shine is to lightly blast the coin with a mild abrasive. I use a Paasche air eraser in a quick shot sometimes.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Randal,

There are two different grits in the AdvantEdge wheels that I like to use.

Item #33276410 Which is a black 'medium' grit wheel. I found that this is more aggressive than the blue 'coarse' wheel and like it much better.

Item #33277410 Which is a 'fine' grit wheel.

Getting a final finish on the coin is really one of the hardest parts... I don't use these wheels for a final finish. I find that they always leave microscopic tracks that reflect each swipe differently and at different angles. To get rid of this, you'll either need to use some kind of bead blaster or an acid etchant. The etchant can be unpredictable and I don't use it much anymore... Usually only during the carving process to dull it down some.

Hope this helps...

mrthe

for uniform the back ground i use a sculpting punch with the head picked in a diamond stone is a tip take from jewellery sam's dvd but work very well in hobo nickels carvings , maybe is not a correct way but work very fine, but for use it you need a pneumatic graver maybe work with a simple electric engraver tool in ebay you can find very cheap ones