Hobo Nickel-Engraver Dave

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My second Hobo nickel. The subject is "Engraver Dave"...a cartoon character my kids and I came up with.
The story of "Dave" goes back to my days in the Ohio Valley Steel mills where one of the labor foreman called everyone "Dave"....regardless of your real name. He claimed that he couldn't be pre-occupied with learning everyone's name so he just used "Dave".
The hat is Ron Smith's Stetson.

Attachments

• EngraverDave6.jpg
    EngraverDave6.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 217

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Great coin but I think you got the subject's name wrong. I know that guy. His name is Buck Rio.;)

Roger

Attachments

• Buck Head Shot.jpg
    Buck Head Shot.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 37

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know about you folks but I think I looked a lot more distinctive before my wife badgered me into cutting the mustache off:beat up:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice coin Dave :just kidding:

The story reminds me of "Beer". He was a guy I use to work with sometimes in an older life. He was a wrestler and had ears like cauliflower.
So if you start working with him he called you by the name of the one that worked with him before you. So he called me Ronny for two weeks until he could remember my name.
Then after 6 weeks someone else took my place to work with Beer, and he again was called Arnaud for two weeks.
I thought is was because of the strikes he got on his head.

Ronny

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Brian
Very nice coin carving and a carving with a story behind it always adds to it..Be prepared to spent some time carving coins now or saying no to collectors wanting one of you coin carvings.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone for the kudos.
Billzach, I hear what you are saying---and thank you for the advice!
Getting a few commissions from the collectors sure wouldn't bother me.
(I'm really a capitalist at heart. Money doesn't just talk---it SCREAMS!)

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Brian
While I always thought of coin carving as a hobby for me the last 14 years, until this year I carved coins 8 to 10 hours a day six days a week during the last 10 of the 14 years I,ve been carving coins and stayed behind on commission work..So unless you want to do it full time you,ll have to turn work down.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Billzach, you bring up a good point about commissions:
The fine line between getting "overwhelmed" with mountains of work, or pricing yourself out of work.
It's that "supply and demand" thing that seems to be in a constant state of flux.
I struggle with that balancing act and probably always will.