Critique Request Hobo nickel #6

DeChristo

Went to the gunshow recently held in Las Vegas, and was truly impressed (and humbled). Some amazing work on both guns and knives. This is my sixth nickel. I finally purchased some coins that weren't worn to the bone, so at least won't be carving on no dates from here on out. Thanks for looking, Chris

Photo taken with a 2 year old 3G IPhone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

mrthe

Great nickel , i like it very much! The textures, background, beard, borderd. all is very well done, the unique critique that is not a critique maybe an advice ,next time save the date and the "Liberty" word of the nickel ;)

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That looks awesome!! I really like the background texture! It looks like snake or lizard skin. Really cool stuff

DeChristo

Thanks Paolo for kind words and all your help in other ways. This is the last no date nickel I will probably ever carve. I bought some no dates to get started. This 6th coin took me forever and I wished I had used a better host coin, but I am just starting out.

Bert, the "snakeskin" is just walking a flat graver point down against the coin around the coin making zig zags and then doing the next row trying to line the points in a diamond shape. With a bit of practice, I might be able to make the diamonds more uniform. Basically I kind of thought of it as cheating around working a smooth field.

Thanks for feedback...looking for constructive criticism!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a very interesting looking piece. thanks for describing how you did the snake skin. another question: how did you do the circles ?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful and interesting/unique style, very professionally done, with a very refreshing approach to your subject!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert, the "snakeskin" is just walking a flat graver point down against the coin around the coin making zig zags and then doing the next row trying to line the points in a diamond shape. With a bit of practice, I might be able to make the diamonds more uniform. Basically I kind of thought of it as cheating around working a smooth field.

Thanks for feedback...looking for constructive criticism!

It's a fantastic coin, but I don't really get that about the technique you used for the " snake skin" , can you make that more clear with a picture, would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great coin. As for critique, about the only thing I would have done differently would be to give the hair a little more detail. Fill it in so that it looks more like hair. And that is just a preferance.

DeChristo

For Monk and Willem

Monk, the circles were done with beading tools. I bought a set of these circular punches in various sizes from Gesswein.

Willem, I hope this crude drawing will help explain. You walk the graver to make rows of zig zag lines:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 56

DeChristo

For Monk and Willem
Monk, the circles were done with beading tools. I bought a set of these circular punches in various sizes from Gesswein.

Willem, I hope this crude drawing will help explain. You walk the graver to make rows of zig zag lines:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Aaahh Chris, this explains a lot, its a very wide wriggle cut, never did see it done this way.
Thank you very much for this drawing, I will try this this week myself.
Willem