Hobo Nckel Lion

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
quite a nice piece. i like the way you handled the shading on this one.

bksocoiny09

please teach me the basics of the art of hobo nickles.... i'm now disabled and can't support my family on disability.....i just wrote you a long letter bragging on your ability but i lost it some how. i wonder if you'd be able to help me get started with telling me or selling me the very basic tools needed to get started doing the hobo nickel.... do you sell your own "how to" books also.... your art blows me away.... it would be easier to get in touch with me through email and i'm at usocoiny09@yahoo.com .......... i hope and pray for your help.............sincerely, bryan

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Bryan,

The art it self is not that hard... if you are a good carver and have all the tools (or at least the minimum to get started.) Scope, vise, graver, bits, grinders, goodies, etc, You simply grind, shave or other wise remove the metal to achieve the look you want.
There are things you can do to make a coin worth less. Like damaging the rim, letters and date and the field. But that's all subject to speculation and the design.

Depending on your disability you may find some avenue to get training as an engraver. Because this is all about being able to engrave.

The $ outlay for equipment is high. Decent visors, microscopes, tools, lights, vises and all the other goodies can run into the thousands real fast even if you buy used. If you really want to do it right eventually you'll need good tools.
You can get by with cobbled up junk, wood blocks and glue if you have to. But it's tough work and a royal PITA. Still, lot's of people started that way.
Nickels are hard to hold, hard to cut, and without good equipment you can trash a coin fast, you'll spend a lot of money for band aids. Not to mention good coins aren't cheap and they are hard to come by. The better the coin the better the sale.
But as a beginner you probably don't want to be junking an expensive nickel.

Most people who carve coins do many other types of engraving to support their income. While it's true that some just cut coins, they are generally retired, working in a similar field, have a reputation and a following of collectors.
Even the best take a beating at times. So attempting to establish a standard profit or income base is not within reality. Nickels do offer a quick way to buy better tools over time. A long time.

So, be forewarned, you aren't going to support your family or yourself cutting nickels. I'd love to paint you a pretty picture of the coin world but it's simply not realistic for most.
You might make a killing on your first couple of pieces but that's normal for new cutters. Then it becomes a matter of people taking a liking to your work and collecting it.
Next problem is where to sell and how.
Ebay in combination with Paypal can and will suck all your profit. Oh yes, you have to have a good camera too.
But that's about the only way to get your work in front of the collectors initially.
Then you need to take a serious look at the restrictions of your disability income. How much can you make before you lose your base income.
If you are on SSDI for every dollar you make they take 50 cents. Taxes take 30 %
Then if you make 800 bucks a month twice over a 5 year period they will jerk your disability. If you are military that may be a different deal.
The choice is yours but I suggest you do a lot of research first. Losing your income is a pretty stiff price to pay for cutting a nickel.

Just google nickel cutting tutorials you'll probably find what you need to know.
Check out the Hobo Nickel Society and Flea Bay to see your competition.

For starters see what you can do with a penny glued to a chunk of wood and a piece of sharp steel. It will give you a feel for what you might be getting yourself into.

SLE

Latest posts

Sponsors