Hinemoa and Tutanekai: A Love Story

Andrew Biggs

Hinemoa was the beautiful high born daughter of two great rangatira. She was set apart from the rest of the tribe because she was tapu and therefore could not be touched. Her beauty was known throughout the region and over the years there were many offers of marriage. All of them refused.

Tutanekai was the handsome and brave illegitimate son of a great chief and lived on Mokoia Island in Lake Rotorua. Although accepted and loved by his tribe he was still considered to be inferior and there was a great animosity between himself and his half brothers.

As the young men of the tribes and Tutanekai’s half brothers competed in vain for Hinemoa’s attention, little did they realise that Tutanekai had already secretly stolen her heart. But it was forbidden because she was high born and he was illegitimate.

At night Tutanekai would sit on his island and play his flute and in the still night air the sound would drift across the lake and lift Hinemoa’s heart as she listened to the beautiful tunes. One night, unable to be separated any longer from her lover she walked down to the beach and stripped off her clothing and entered the water at the lakes edge.

Guided by the gentle tunes in the still night air Hinemoa started swimming toward the island but the distance was great and there were hidden dangers. Part way through the journey as she was getting tired a great water monster known as a Taniwha reared up in the water to attack her. When Hinemoa explained the reason for her swimming through his domain, the Taniwha was so moved that he helped her reach the island.

Hinemoa moved up the beach and found a warm pool to hide in and disguise her nakedness. At this time Tutanekai sent a slave to gather water from the pool unaware that Hinemoa was waiting for him there. The slave threw the gourd into the water and Hinemoa quickly grabbed it and smashed it against the rocks.

The slave ran back to his master fearing that there was a monster in the pool. Tutanekai quickly reached for his mere (war club) and gathered his cloak around him and set off to kill the monster. As he ran toward the pool Hinemoa stood up in all her nakedness and Tutaenkai realised just how beautiful she really was. Placing his cloak around her he led her to his house and through the night they made love enjoying each others closeness.

In the morning as the sun broke above the horizon, dozens of war canoes could be seen heading toward the island. Hinemoa’s father was in the lead canoe and was outraged at what his daughter had done and he fully intended to destroy Tutanekai’s tribe for the insult that his people felt.

When his canoe landed he ran toward Hinemoa and Tutanekai with his mere raised to strike a killing blow. But as he got closer he saw that they stood fast and proud. He also saw that the love they shared between them could not be broken as it was a love that came from the soul.

And so what started as a war party to destroy ended up as a celebration of love. As the two tribes met they embraced one another and cheered the lovers Hinemoa and Tutanekai.

As the years went by Hinemoa and Tutanekai had many children and distinguished descendants and their love for one another grew even deeper and they both lived long and fruitful lives.

Sometimes to this day, on a still and quiet night at the edges of Lake Rotorua, if you listen very carefully you can still hear the gentle music of Tutanekai’s flute as he guides Hinemoa to his bedside.

Cheers
Andrew

The photo in the background is Mokoia Island where Tutanekai played his flute and Hinemoa swam out to.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
totally cool engraving, andrew. many youngsters around here these days are sort of doing what went on in your story, except few of the boys can play the flute.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
VERY romantic tale indeed, and a unique engraving to celebrate it.

You certainly have a knack for island folklore and artistic interpretation Andrew.

Thanks for posting it.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Terrific job and a nice story. I am digging the flute player most of all on the engraving.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Any post that includes a love story, flutes, Lake Rotorua, and wonderful engraving has my interest. Love the way you place your engraving designs in time, legend, and place. Beautifully conceived and executed. Played a concert there on my way down to meet you in Christchurch, and as I remember, the molten magma is only about 300 meters under the floorboards? No wonder the Rotorua Victorian spa baths are so easy to heat. It was on the shores of the Lake that I first saw the Maori war canoes, and carved into their bow was that highly distinctive double line scroll. You are doing a great thing, Andrew, in keeping these legends and motifs relevant, at the same time there is a good deal of yourself in these engravings, the perfect combination, connecting with the 'deep well' for inspiration, yet being the crest of the wave that keeps it alive. I like that.

Rod

Last edited:

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, I'm always excited when you post something because I get such enjoyment not only from seeing what you've done but from reading the accompanying story! And dang it I'm a sucker for a good romance story. ;) I just love how you incorporate the story into your work, it's so distinctive. That is way cool! :thumbs up:

-Katherine

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
What an awesome legend. I like happy ends and your marvelous engraving matches very well with the knife.
Regards, Mario.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Andrew, wonderful work and story to accompany the design! Here is another Wm. Henry knife! Is this one titanium or steel like Alain's? I know that you have gotten the titanium (and other insanely hard materials) "factor" well under control.

By the way, are you guys pretty much back to normal after the quakes? Was there a lengthy disruption to general services? Make sure you are not angering the gods by telling us all their secret stories, or there might be further rumblings!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very Pretty knife Andrew. They should have let you creat the beads as well. They seem to clash with this piece a bit-to shiny and the shape does not fit but the engraving design and excicution is very well done indeed. Fred

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love the way the pattern of the damascus goes with the engraving - and the story.

Was it in any way an inspiration for using this story for this knife?

How do you match a legend to a piece?

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for the kind comments

Rod........Yes indeed, Rotorua is a beautiful place and you probably saw the bronze statue dedicated to Hinemoa and Tutanekai while you were there.

Doc........This knife is 416 stainless. I've never cut titanium. We are still getting aftershocks. Yesterday we had a few that gave the house a good shake. The city will take years to fully recover. But life is pretty much carrying on as normal for most people. You just work around it.

Steve.......It works the other way around. I get the handles and William Henry match the blade etc to best bring out the engraving. It's a very nice way to work. I read a lot and when I strike a story that has appeal then it's just a matter of taking the pencil and paper and working on it over several draughts. The design just evolves from there. The idea of course is to pick key elements and include them in the design. Basically I just keep doodling till the design develops. Sometimes it seems to click immediately and other times it takes a while....................sometimes you go down blind alleys and end up scrapping the whole thing and starting again.

Cheers
Andrew

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew
Your story is so beautiful ... as your knife is!!!
The damas pattern on the blade fits really well with your engravings .
Bravo Monsieur Andrew...
Greetings

Jean

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Andrew,

I am glad to see your decorative style again. Santos has just said it: the blade of the knife and your engraving match very well.

Best,
Alain

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work and design Andrew and as most of the time you have a story added to your work, that makes it even more interesting.
arnaud

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Indeed Hinemoa and Tutanekai at the edges of Lake Rotorua lived long and fruitful lives and left a legacy that is now reflected in a brand new "stainless" steel artifact (hence the name!) sublime memorial. If only Hinemoa new . . .

Latest posts

Sponsors