High dollar flute

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A little different flavor for an engraver and kind of monotonous in the creativity department.But if you heard the same CHA-CHING$ I did, you'll understand how much fun monotonous can really be.
These are solid 14k Gold keys for a very,very,very expensive Lillian Burkart flute. I had to make special fixtures to hold them for cutting.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good to hear that Brian, indeed sometimes boring can be a lot of fun. I’m a musician too but not the flute, and sure not a golden one. But I can imagine it sounds great and is expensive.
And as far as I can remember your posts, you do a lot more flute engravings. So you must be famous on that I suppose.

I can’t really see your work on these, so perhaps show us some details?

arnaud

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@Mike: Not exactly sure, but most of these solid 14k flutes start around $45K and go way up from there.
My wife always asks," Aren't you nervous working on that?"
I admit, it does make you focus 1000%..................just remember to keep all of the "dirt" you sweep off the floor!
@Arnaud---I tried becoming "Rich & Famous". I should have stuck with just "Rich". The famous part didn't seem to work out either.
So I'll just remain "Notorius"!

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A high 14k modern flute is a truly lovey thing, Brian,

and you are doing your part to make it a delight to the eye as well as presumably a delight to the ear. It is looking great. I admire so many serious cutters on this forum, who daily collaborate in joint ventures such as this, but also so many firearm and edge weapon workers. You must have the chops to match the steel forger and maker, the scrim worker, etc., to gain the commission, and importantly have nerves of steel, cutting into some one else's work, whist allowing your artistic muse free rein. To me it seems like a combination that would strike terror into me, although from time to time I do have to work on flutes 300 years old. Mostly, I can put a mistake aside and start anew. So very well done! Yes, I do know just how very many, many flutes have come over the top of your bench, but this is a dandy!

Back in the days when precious metal prices were lower and pretty stable ( not very long ago), I would go to the NFC flute show every year. I was the odd duck out, along with a few other early wood flute makers. Whiling away the time, I did the arithmetic on the difference in cost for the metal alone between a silver modern flute and the more common 9K gold flutes. It was about $1500. Yet the gold flute price was through the roof compared with a silver flute, of course neither was engraved, unless as a big extra. It was even reaching the stage when proud parents might reward a talented daughter ( I think women are in the majority today among great players) with a gold flute after they reached a certain stage. I heard no complaints from flute makers. Your tool point is adding real value to this beauty!

Please do carry my very best wishes to Scott and all at the Engrave-In, regretfully I am nailed to my bench 24/7. I'll bet I am missing some good pickin' and strummin'. He has been gracious in inviting me yearly, usually I am in Europe at this time, so I hold out hope for getting there in the future.

aye!

Rod

Last edited:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Aye, indeed Roderick. The years have tempered my nerves, but it is still a very mental game dealing with such an expensive instrument. Purchasing your "mistakes" on value added solid gold is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. However, there's a huge amount of trust between the customer and myself. They wouldn't send this unless they knew I was more than capable of performing the work. In the flute world, these modern instruments are without peer. I find it humbling to get the chance to make an impression that will probably outlive me.
We'll miss you at the Engrave-In. I'm debating whether to pack along my ancient Yamaha FG-295 of borrow my daughters' new Taylor.
Slàinte mhòr agad!
Brian

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i recall many , many years ago-- a custom knifemaker sent me a toothpick. that far back, it was valued at $3,000 bucks. took me quite some time to get the nerve to give it a whack. as it happened, the maker was happy, as was the eventual owner.

Sponsors