Critique Request Hi there Some engraving I did recently.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like the dragon very much, i cant say the same for the cat. the cat is "flat". you need to add shade to bring out the 3d nature of the animal. without said shading providing the illusion of depth, the legs look as though they're in the same plane as the body. shading would provide the separation needed to achieve this.

Monk, Terrezar and all who liked the post. Thank you all for your honest and informative input. I completely agree about the comments regarding the cat it lacks Life. Next time I will use some nice picture and transfer it on the metal. Terrezar you asked me if I use hand push or air assisted tool, I use Lindsay palm control air graver. Until next time. Cheers all

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Let me add that the weed on the cat plate isn't done that way neither, you tried making grass by cutting a curved line. This should be done by cutting the outsides of the grass. This is the same for fur, you just cut the shading of the fur, not the hair itself.
All cuts are just dropshadow, a bit wider on one side, opposite to the light source.
And if you think about all design and engraving, the cuts are the outlines, the inner borders of the cuts from the leaves or whatever.
The way you did it is like in a color book for kids.

arnaud

Thank you Arnaud for your input much appreciated. I have just been watching Chris`s DVD for bulino engraving and he also explains the way you were saying as above the way to cut grass and also fur on metal plate. I am enjoying Chris`s DVD and hopefully learn lots of tips from it and also from you guys. Cheers A

Sponsors