Hi I'm in UK. Can any one help me buy the right engraver. I air brush cars. And have just finished a low rider. I would like to engrave the bumpers. T

Maxart

Hi I'm in the UK can any one help me choose the right engraver. I have just finished airbrushing a1977 lowrider and would like to engrave the bumpers... maxart.uk for a picture of it. The bumpers are crome with steel underneath. I was looking at a Foredom powergraver 2293. I have no idea if this would work. Thank you

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
What is your budget?

The foredom looks very unwieldy to me. And with any system you choose you also need something to sharpen the gravers and maybe some optivisors.

As for cutting chromeplated steel. I think chrome is very hard and might cause some headache. It might dull your gravers fast. Or it might start to chip and flake.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Engraving chrome plated steel is not a good idea.
First of all, the chrome is very hard and difficult to cut through.
And if you do, there is a good chance of the chrome plating pealing at the edge of the engraving cuts.
And that is a nightmare mess to deal with.
To do it right the bumpers should be stripped of the chrome, polished, engraved and re-plated.
That is a long and expensive process. Be sure it is worthwhile!!

Last edited:

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving chrome plated steel is not a good idea.
First of all, the chrome is very hard and difficult to cut through.
And if you do, there is a good chance of the chrome plating pealing at the edge if the engraving cuts.
And that is a nightmare mess to deal with.
To do it right the bumpers should be stripped of the chrome, polished, engraved and re-plated.
That is a long and expensive process. Be sure it is worthwhile!!
And a jillion square inches to cut.

Maxart

What is your budget?

The foredom looks very unwieldy to me. And with any system you choose you also need something to sharpen the gravers and maybe some optivisors.

As for cutting chromeplated steel. I think chrome is very hard and might cause some headache. It might dull your gravers fast. Or it might start to chip and flake.
Hello. Thank you so much for your good advice, I do appreciate you taking the time. As a beginner in UK it's very hard to find help. I have now been looking at GRS the graver smith. Pneumatic. I had a feeling the crome could be an issue and possibly an expense. The trouble is when you start making something beautiful like my car. It took me 9 months to paint it it's hard to stop trying to make it outstanding. It has already been on the front cover of Classic American magazine Jan 2023. And I can't stop!

Hilario Lugo does automotive/motorcycle engraving, also teaches classes.I think he’s hlugo on insta. You can probably see in his posts what equipment he has and the insane turntables he uses for bumpers.

Latest posts

Sponsors