Help, please: Hi all, will someone please offer me some help and guidance?

blacksmith70

Hi all,
I've recently joined the site, I am a traditionally trained and qualified blacksmith, and have taken on a commission for a phosphor bronze sundial, I have no previous experience in engraving, however I am good working with my hands and I feel that it may be providence that I now am being given the opportunity to expand my skill base into the field of engraving.
I have purchased a GRS Graversmith, together with a 901 handpiece and various gravers, and this week I will be purchasing the GRS' powerhone complete dual angle system'.
I would really appreciate some basic advice from those of you who are experienced in this field, the sundial consists of two crescents, interlocked at their midpoints 90 degrees to each other. I am required to engrave numerals and hour lines upon the inner curve of the horizontal crescent, which is 40mm thick. The numerals will be approx. 25mm high.
The circular baseplate is also 40mm thick phosphor bronze and requires a 16 point star, approx. 400mm in dia to be engraved-multiple straight lines involved approx. 200mm long.

My worries/questions are this:

1 How do I stop my flat graver digging in, like a spade into earth, I gather that I should grind a heel into the underside of the graver to act as a 'skid'?
2The sundial will be outside, how deep should I engrave, and how should I apply the paint, (one of your contributors that I read recommended a flat black paint)

I have 3 weeks to complete this work and deliver to site, so any possible help that any of you could give would be greatly appreciated,

Yours Dave,
a very worried British blacksmith/trainee engraver!!

mrthe

Hi Dave welcome to the Café!
One question...
Have you engraved before something? From your words i feel that you haven't a lot of practice ,maybe in only 3 weeks will be very hard to learn all that you need and have enough control of the graver to can make a job like this, i don't want discourage you,but i haven't see anyone learn engraving in only 3 weeks (expecially without take classes).

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Dave, Welcome first!!! With your training, I am surprised that you didn't build some chisels for hammer and chisel engraving and go that route. But since you didn't we can start by telling you that your gravers will need some kind of heel to help you control the depth .BTW sorry you are so under the gun in this project. There are references and drawings of graver geometry that will get you going better. I think you can find some in the archives here as well as beginner advise.
As far as depth of cut and the exposure the piece is likely to see,It might be something that need to be gone over twice to get the long lasting definition needed for out of doors use in bronze???
Paint?? why not a natural patina with a hand rubbed wax finish for a more natural apearance?? just my 2pence!!!!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have 3 weeks to complete this work and deliver to site

Yikes!

leo

Elite Cafe Member
I think you bit more then you could chewed why because engraving is not learn in weeks unless you have training from a professional my advise to you is look for local help since you have so much in England try to get in contact with one of the local engraver in your area that are here there's a list on the tip section the thread is called "add your name to the member location list" maybe they would help you

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
WELCOME. Hi, make a few cuts in some scrap Bronze. Look at the tips section for graver geometry, make a graver and the trial cuts will tell you where you are instantly.

There is a ton of information on this site, but you may find getting it all from your mind to your hands is a steep learning curve.Your time line seems somewhat short for just starting out.

Good luck, have fun.

scott99

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It may be best to find an experienced engraver in your area who would collaborate with you. Engraving rarely comes quickly, and lettering is one of the tougher things to master.
I didn't get this advice early on and now wish I had.
Good luck with the project! Get us some pics when it's done and be sure, you can get all the help you need here if you intend to take up engraving.
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if it's the phosphor bronze alloy i'm familiar with, it's a total bugger to engrave. even for one with experience

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi blacksmith. If you find you need a little help then I am only in The Midlands and can put you in touch with a number of engravers to tackle that project. If my workload permits I may be able to do it myself. I am all for a "have a go" approach, but if you have put many hours labour into making the sundial but have never engraved before then do not attempt it. It really is harder than it looks even though you are obviously skilled in craft work.
Kind regards. Phil.

blacksmith70

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your message, I could do with some help! I have been practicing 'on and off' for the past 5 weeks, using scrap offcuts, however, I am now running out of time quite rapidly.
I am definitely improving, and can now engrave a passable 'roman' numeral.
I would like to get in touch with you to discuss your proposal, but being a new member, I am not sure what contact details I can post in this message. Would you please post me back, I am happy to supply my email address if this is allowed on the site.
Once again, many thanks for responding to my request for help!

Best, Dave.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dave. I have sent you a message with contact details.(at the top right hand side of the screen you will see a notifications icon. click on it. the message is in there)

Latest posts

Sponsors