Here is a lawsuit CASE XX filed for doing custom scrimshaw on their knives.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
That says America all over it, I must ask, what? There must be more to this than meets the eye, or maybe shouldn't but do tell.

Bob

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My heart is breaking,as a son of Pa, I sent Case a swing lock 1960,s vintage thatI carried in SEA and else where . I sent written instructions to only replace the swing lock finger guards and do not sharpen or polish the blade(30 plus years of patina onthe knife) So some idiot whom can not read polished the blade and sharpened it on a belt sander. The manager of the repair shop offered to give me a knife of my choice I rejected this offer and no longer buy or recommend case knifes.

O

MrMister

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with them, Dave. That's pretty rediculous that they cannot take the time to read your note, for something so dear and precious to you. I don't blame you for not buying or recommending them anymore. The more stories I hear the more I want to avoid them in the future now and even though I had a bad experience, makes me feel it worked out for the best for me(where I see how they really are) and my business goes where it's appreciated and I don't have to worry about doing something like selling custom scrimshaw, that's totally legal and within my right to do.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
You are, even though you may not know it, supporting Zippo's claim with your choice of words. MrMister cannot 'upgrade' a Case knife, he can only modify an existing product. Zippo claims any modification of the product as it is sold ends its lifetime warranty and therefore devalues the knife or lighter and/or causes damage to the name and business of Zippo, it's bunk but they apparently found a judge that would agree.

Bob

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...So some idiot whom can not read ...

story of my life, Dave. i cannot count the number of times i have farmed out work, with excruciatingly clear instructions, only to have it ****ed up beyond all recognition by someone who couldn't be bothered with reading those instructions because they were an 'expert' who doesn't need anybody telling them how to do their job. do NOT get me started...

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have serious doubt as to how this would hold up in higher court. There is an industry built on customizing other manufacturers work. I work for a firearms company that specializes in rebuilding guns manufactured by other companies. Once complete, they even get a new name and model #. Saiga shotguns in particular loves us because of the number of guns we purchase to customize. This is common in the gun industry.
We also work with a company that takes Jeeps apart and rebuilds them into military style vehicles which then get their product name.
I'm sure there are hundreds of similar examples. I'd love to see the outcome of this one. The shame of it all is that I could never afford to defend such a suit while Case has the finances to drag it out forever.
Sad day.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What would Zippo have to say about this one being produced for sale today. Vintage silver case with Zippo insert.
[/URL][/IMG]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/950-Sterlin...681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0b7f57a9
Can't understand how on earth I could be told what I can or cannot do with an item once I legally own it.
I'll have to watch out when I sell my Custom Ford!

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I've never heard of a civil case ending with anyone going to jail as part of a settlement. More often the less affluent is taken to the cleaners. The real crime I see here is all the work and time spent on this trash. Those stinking, leaking old lumps do not deserve the trouble. And as for Case knifes, who cares? We are talking about cheap junk that isn't worth using for a canvas for any artist. If I just had to make lighters for common folk I would make covers for 'Bic' lighters, much bigger market and no product investment only materials that you control. And if I intended to engrave folders I'd make my own or find a custom builder who wants an artist to work with. I think the message here is stay away from the Zippo corporation and let them die in peace.

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors