hepburn engraving

joe seeley

Hi all,
I'm looking for photos or patterns from original remington hepburn rifles, do any of you have any or no where there are any?

thanks
Joe

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe,
The Nimschke book has a lot of Remington rolling blocks and Ballards but I don't know if any are actually Hepburn models. If you don't have this book, you should try to find it if you are going to do period type engraving. There are a few out there yet.
Rex

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
If you have a Hepburn it would be fun to see a picture before and after you perform you magic on it.
Thanks

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Joe, I went to your websight.

Those are some beautiful Rifles ye built.

Do you start from scratch or use a commercially available action?

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
I have yet to see an highly engraved example of a falling block Remington.

I would put this question to one of two people .... Mike Venturino on the Shiloh forum or Roy Marcot on the Remington Society forum.

There are no examples of the R-H in Wilson's Nimschke book .... or in any of the Wilson books that I am aware of (those that I own). That goes for the Remington books by Roy Marcot as well.

p.s. .... I love those Remingtons ... particularly the underlever conversions.

Take care

Last edited:

joe seeley

Thanks all
I have found that I can find no examples of highly engraved hepburns either,
so... I was hoping that maybe someone out there had seen one or had a picture of one, but no luck so far.
If I cant find an example I will probably have to adapt a period rolling block pattern to the hepburn.
I still have a little time to come up with something. as I have only made two complete rifles so far, and one has been pack hardend so I won't engrave that one, but i have reserved ser# 1 and ser#0 for high grade engraving

Charlie,
yes I am making these rifles from scratch, the receivers are machined from 8620 steel billets the only cast part is the lever it's self. the lever is welded to the square stub that cams the breech block. So far everything is one to one from a couple of originals that I have. I've been working on this project for a little over 6 months, and feel that I am starting to make some headway.

joe

Attachments

• hepburn.jpg
    hepburn.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 248

WDA

Looking good !

Joe,

Those are going to be some nice pieces. I would like to come and look over
your shoulder to see how those are made. I have always wanted to build
from scratch but think I am probably going to be an observer for a while yet.
My big boss is trying to get me to complete a room full of projects I have in
progress right now but I still have that on my list of things to do. Thanks for
posting your progress on this.

Bill Albers

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Joe, here is just one of the many pictures on the google link I put up, it looks pretty highly engraved to me? And I'm sure there are plenty more.

Kevin

Thanks all
I have found that I can find no examples of highly engraved hepburns either,
so... I was hoping that maybe someone out there had seen one or had a picture of one, but no luck so far.

joe

Attachments

• RHRightside.jpg
    RHRightside.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 232

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Joe,
Do they claim this to be original engraving?
Just asking because some of the style looks a little "modern" to me.
Best regards.

Woops, sorry.
I didn't see Chris's post about it being engraved by Bill Gamradt.

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They have a small picture of one engraved by Nimschke here if you scroll down the page: http://www.nationalcowboymuseum.org/research/cms/About/GalleryGuides/WeitzenhofferArms/tabid/112/Default.aspx You might be able to contact them and get a more detailed picture as this one does not show much.

Kevin

Call the Museum and ask for Don Reeves ext.227. He might be able to help you get a better photo of this or direct you to the right person.I have seen this gun and I love single shot rifles.This one is a fine example.

joe seeley

Kevin,
thanks, I'll contact them see if they have a better/ larger picture that I may look at.
I don't live to far from the Cody firearms museum, and they said that they may have an engraved hepburn in their archives that I could photograph, so I guess I'll have to take a weekend off and run down to see what they have.

thanks again for all of your help

Joe

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I knew I had this site saved on one of my computers. It shows an engraved Hepburn as well as other engraved vintage rifles. There are a couple of albums strictly for engraved guns.

http://www.pbase.com/halp/root

In addition, if you click on the "galleries" button there are literally thousands of wildlife studies of animals and birds of all kinds which would be of great value to engravers and scrimshanders.

joe seeley

Thanks for the link,
Nice pictures of a lot of things. The hepburn is pretty basic, but it's a good starting point. I have found a someone who said that they have several pictures, as they are starting a book on the hepburn. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has, as there arn't a lot of engraved hepburns known to exist.
It will be interesting to see how they worked around all of the screw holes

Joe

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
When you find out about the book you refer to would you share that with the rest of us?
Thanks, Glenn

joe seeley

Yes I will, I don't know how far he is on the book, but I do know he has a lot of photo's and good information on the hepburns. I'll see If I can find out more.

Joe

Latest posts

Sponsors