Question: henery rifles

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The large caliber Henry's have solid brass frame and the .22 cal. are plated,make a simple test cut in a spot that can't be seen. J.J.

Last edited:

Ragnarok

The rimfires are a brass plated shell over a Zamak frame. Zamak is the same grayish metal that the die cast parts in your home door locks are made from. It's commonly referred to as "pot metal". The centerfire rifles are solid brass.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The .22s are actually coated with either a powder coat or epoxy "clear coat" in a gold tone giving it a gold or brass color. Much harder to remove than even a plating.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't touch any Henry except the Big Boys. In my opinion, the rest are junk for engraving.

Bill

Ragnarok

The .22s are actually coated with either a powder coat or epoxy "clear coat" in a gold tone giving it a gold or brass color. Much harder to remove than even a plating.

Titanium Nitride possibly? I've only had one of the rimfires in for repair a few years ago. I saw the Zamak frame inside and gave it back to the customer. I refuse to work on junk.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
The .22 model H001 Henry's are painted ( Winchester 94 look alike) with a black paint that will come off with a paint stripper. The metal engraves VERY nicely and is a real pleasure. I would not call this pot metal as it rings like a bell when struck.

JTC

I did engrave one of the 22 caliber Henry rifles. It was soft cutting through a very thick layer of paint down to the base metal. Required a different than normal cutting technique but turned out well enough to please my customer.
Hope the attached photo works.

/Users/coynejt/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Previews/2014/08/21/20140821-170058/WEAFMsSBQqOn0zZKkDWaug/Image 3.jpg

Last edited:

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
If you would like to see a couple of engraved .22 Henry check out the featured photo on GRS website. www.grstools.com They are what Rex did for his class. Way cool. Don't be fooled they were done in the white then repainted. Great job Rex. :tiphat:
Sandy

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently called the manufacturer on this very subject and as has already been stated, the rimfires are plated over some proprietary alloy and the large calibers are solid brass. The blued ones are coated black over that alloy and cannot be blued in the conventional manner. Their in house method is proprietary and secret, like the herbs & spices in Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I inquired about the .22 lever action they have for my son that I had planned to engrave then re-blue. They said if it has been engraved it would be considered "altered" and they won't touch it with a ten foot pole, not even to re-coat it. He was very blunt about that fact.

So, I went and found an older mint condition Browning lever action .22 that is real steel and can be engraved and re-blued. Problem solved.

Latest posts

Sponsors