Question: Help Please

White Raven

I seem to remember, some time ago , some one posted a Thread on how to hammer a silver ring from a silver quarter. I believe it was titled " a silver ring for 25 cents" . He also posted a step by step tutorial , I did print it , and now that I have a handful of silver quarters , I can not find it . Am I crazy ? Please help . Thank you.
Ron

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
I've never done it with a quarter, but I make them with flat stock sterling by punching a washer and then working it out with a derlin hammer on a ring mandrel .

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep. That's how. If you use wood or leather hammers you might even be able to keep most of your desighn

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On YouTube there are many video's about this subject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSBH_D0Xzjg&feature=related

This one I made from a silver guilder.

Last edited:

Rod King

When I was a kid (late 60's), I made a ring out of a silver quarter by holding it in my fingers and striking the edge with a spoon. After several days of this the edge spread to about a quarter inch wide. I then drilled out the center. As the edge spread the lettering and date rolled up to be visible on the inside of the ring.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Am I crazy ? Please help . Thank you.
Ron

it's beyond the usual scope of this forum to diagnose your mental condition, but the mere fact that you're here is generally not regarded as a good sign... :confused:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Willem for the You Tube link, I like it. I can do this much much faster, so lets see what I think on this one

arnaud

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I have made them from quarters, dimes and 50 cent piece . My wife has a ring from a silver dime . I use a die cutter punch out a slug . Dome it on the block and finish on the mandrel.
However their is some guesswork on what size hole to punch out for what size ring.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Arnaud, I already tryed a euro piece and it is very easy to push out the center.
And when you do that with two coins you can solder them together and this makes a symmetrical ring.
And it's only 2 euro material costs.....

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem, here I go.
Just one hit whit on the right place removes the brass inner of the 2 euro coin.
Hammering a bit on the triboulet, then using the ring stretcher and swaging to make the ring the right finger size. No need to anneal the metal.

Took me 2 minutes, so If I sell it for 5 euro I make profit on this one.

arnaud

White Raven

EUREKA !!!!! Yes Dan , it was a thread by you , maybe on OCT.31,2010 or early Nov. 2010 . There was no posted date on my print out , but it stated that my last visit was 10-30-2010 . I look forward to doing this ,and hopefully i can get my grand daughter to make one also . I am NOT crazy just old. Thank you again Ron

mrthe

i had make a tutorial few months ago for my spanish forum , i post it heare idf someone is interested Step 1 - Choose a old sterling (or copper) coin

Step 2 - with a divider mark a circle in the center of the coin

Step 3 - with a pemanent marker draw the circle for a more visibility

Step 4 - Cut the center of the coin with a disk cutter tool or with a sawframe,is the same ;)

Step 5 - With a torch annealing the coing for reducing stress of the metal

Step 6 - put the coin in a ring's mandrel and planishing the borders from up to down
Note: the face that you want show in the side up of the ring must be put up in the mandrel.

Step 7 - Repit the process of annealing

Step 8 - Now put the coin in the mandrel in the opposit side wide the most opened part up and planishing.

Step 9 - If you want at the last for a perfect circular form of the ring and for enlarge his size you can use a ring enlarger tool like this,it's more fast and simple.

Step 10 - Polish the cutted side of the ring with a abrasive paper and after the rest of the ring with a buffing machine....and.....enjoy it ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors