Help picking a Vise

Nick_of_time

Hey Folks,

I've been chasing for a couple of years, but tendonitis is driving me to a powered system. Thinking about getting a pulsegraver, and I'll need a vise, but they range from $85 to $1000 and come in a lot of different sizes (weights?). I'm engraving parts for muzzle loading firearms, and putting the parts in holders, which I then hold in just a standard bench vise. I'm only doing brass and steel. I have been moving around the vise as I cut. Larger parts like barrels I just put in a bench vise and make do so that won't change. But how I do most parts will change once I get a powered system. The work will be in one of the ball vices and I'll rotate the vice as I cut. So if my holder with part is, say, 2 to 3 pounds, how big a vice do I need to be stable?

Would the Lindsay 12 lb vise do it? The GRS Standard Block (20 lbs)? Something smaller? And in terms of price, I'm assuming that the $100-$200 vices on Amazon are a waste of money, but hey please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
-Nick

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i' d go with a 20. or even larger. you'll likely be asked to do a few things where a heavier vise would be better. the heavier one will not likely cause a problem on smaller items. jmho as for the "knockoffs", they generally aren't worth the money. a used victor will serve well. then too, you can check here on the classified section of the forum. there's usually a vise or two there for sale.

Gunsmith

:::Pledge Member:::
Hey Folks,

I've been chasing for a couple of years, but tendonitis is driving me to a powered system. Thinking about getting a pulsegraver, and I'll need a vise, but they range from $85 to $1000 and come in a lot of different sizes (weights?). I'm engraving parts for muzzle loading firearms, and putting the parts in holders, which I then hold in just a standard bench vise. I'm only doing brass and steel. I have been moving around the vise as I cut. Larger parts like barrels I just put in a bench vise and make do so that won't change. But how I do most parts will change once I get a powered system. The work will be in one of the ball vices and I'll rotate the vice as I cut. So if my holder with part is, say, 2 to 3 pounds, how big a vice do I need to be stable?

Would the Lindsay 12 lb vise do it? The GRS Standard Block (20 lbs)? Something smaller? And in terms of price, I'm assuming that the $100-$200 vices on Amazon are a waste of money, but hey please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
-Nick
I engrave parts for muzzle loaders and find the Grs positioning vice is great and heavy enough for everything I do , I have made jigs for holding barrels and cylinders and also is great for under a microscope

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5390.jpeg
    IMG_5390.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 50

Nick_of_time

I engrave parts for muzzle loaders and find the Grs positioning vice is great and heavy enough for everything I do , I have made jigs for holding barrels and cylinders and also is great for under a microscope
Thanks for your help gentlemen! I'll look for something on the heavier side.

DaveatWeirs

Id also recommend a heavier vice. I'm fond of the low profile grs one in combination with the rotary table. It weighs a little over 20lbs and works great for pretty much everything I've had a go at. The vice itself can handle everything from swords and golfclubs (we can't do guns here), to tiny lapel pins held in thermolock. Anything bigger than the vice can hold I jus sit directly onto the rotary table itself (or my lap, lol)

papart1

I'd personally stick with the Lindsay products for the reason: accessories are a big plus, service......again service is top notched. His will allow many grs things to be used also, not true the other way.

papart1

I have an original standard grs vise........................which now I would have went with Steve's vise/s

wild willie

Hey Folks,

Thanks,
-Nick
i have a 55 yr old victor [ 16 lbs] that is starting to ware a little so i got lindsays palm control true center vice, its about 14 lbs. i do jewelry and its great for that and knifes but for what u do i would go bigger , the bigger the better. 30 lbs or more. rebound and stability are the reasons. if hammer and chisel its even more important. i have never used the pulsegraver but have used grs for about 35 yrs and i have tried lindsay classic, both are great. there is less rebound with air assist than hammer and chisel and i would expect the pulse to be the same as the air. i would suggest the grs positioning vice or the lindsay goliath positioning vice or larger. any good positioning vice [ not from china, bad reviews] will serve u well and last

Nick_of_time

i have a 55 yr old victor [ 16 lbs] that is starting to ware a little so i got lindsays palm control true center vice, its about 14 lbs. i do jewelry and its great for that and knifes but for what u do i would go bigger , the bigger the better. 30 lbs or more. rebound and stability are the reasons. if hammer and chisel its even more important. i have never used the pulsegraver but have used grs for about 35 yrs and i have tried lindsay classic, both are great. there is less rebound with air assist than hammer and chisel and i would expect the pulse to be the same as the air. i would suggest the grs positioning vice or the lindsay goliath positioning vice or larger. any good positioning vice [ not from china, bad reviews] will serve u well and last
Thanks Willie - I'll see if I can find something used to start with that's the right size.

ByrnBucks

Messed up and got one of them amazon vises starting out, was stuck with it for a while. When trying to tighten on anything just before it would be snug one side would kick up just enough to be a headache. Game changer to have a properly made one, worth every penny. Have a great weekend. BB

Nick_of_time

Messed up and got one of them amazon vises starting out, was stuck with it for a while. When trying to tighten on anything just before it would be snug one side would kick up just enough to be a headache. Game changer to have a properly made one, worth every penny. Have a great weekend. BB
You talked me out of it :)

ByrnBucks

Glad to hear, that vise is still peeking at me from the side of my bench. If it saves one person the hassle then it was worth it haha.

Latest posts

Sponsors