help on silver inlay relief for beginer

George F.

I'm a Kentucky rifle builder, I usually have my rifles engraved by someone who does a great job, however he doesn't do relief work. I have limited engraving skills. actually it would be closer to none, but have attempted it on a few occasions. My engraving work really needs an engraving class , which I would love to do. but the time off of work, cost of the class and room & board isn't possible right now. My question is, I'm interested in doing a shell detail on a inlay in relief. I'm a pretty good relief carver though. Would I find carving silver much harder to do, other than the silver is harder than sugar maple, but there's no grain so to speak, to worry about.If you feel I could manage it, what tools would I need to do this? Any recommendations or suggestions are appreciated, thank you. ..Geo

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
George,
I'm a builder of rifles too.
carving wood & engraving are two different things. Gravers & chisels tiny compared to carving gouges etc.
First, you need to know how to sharpen the tools, somethin' to hold the work and unless you got real good eyesight some magnification. Is this inlay a thumbpiece like on a type D French fusil?
I can't recall relief engraved furniture on American longrifles but common on German Jaegers with heavy chiseled game scenes etc.
Imho you cant just ramp up & start cutting chisel relief.I know lots of rifle builders but dont know anyone that does relief either. I recently turned down a relief job on a Jaeger. I'm not up to the task. The customer settled /agreed on the more common lines/ roccoco type job.
My opinion is to forego the relief especially if its an American gun and just do line / border type engraving if you can execute it.(not easy either). otherwise you need an advanced engraver with this type experience & I believe the cost would be prohibitive.
my opinion,
Kent

George F.

Thanks for the reply,The inlay is actually a silver accent on the butt cap tang of a Kentucky pistol I'm currently doing, it's not very big, but something I want to try. If I feel its going to be too hard, I might try to fit a thumb piece inlay in from an existing casting that's done in relief that's currently available....thanks, Geo.